Do you shoot RAW?

You have full control of the white balance.... I dunno any other ones...

(Good choice on the D70... Got mine yesterday!)

photosoup guru said:
Good choice on the D70... Got mine yesterday!

Only had it for a month or so, so im just about getting used to all the different buttons and settings... but i just love it!

It's my understanding that everytime you work with a jpeg there is a loss of integrity. RAW files carry the full information of the image and don't degrade.

You could also "lift" an underexposed image.

RAW gives you more control over the final image. Shoot with RAW and play with the RAW software, you won't go back to JPEG.

I'm going to have to try this... so far I have only been shooting in the largest JPEG format with my 20D. I think it may be because I'm familiar with the JPEG format, i've been using it since my school days and I know how it works and how to best use it. But hey I guess its always good to learn something new... and yes it's true every time you save a JPEG it gets re compressed and loses a little more data... The only downside to RAW is the large file size, but then I have a 1GB card so it's less of a problem for me.

Any reason to use the RAW+BASIC option where u get a small JPEG to go with the RAW? Gonna have to get an awful lot of memorycards for a month of travel...

I can't think of any aside from just to eat up space on your cards so you can justify purchasing one of those new 4gb jobbies. Why shoot both when you can turn a RAW file into a JPEG if you like after you have it shot and edited? It seems slightly stupid to record both if you ask me. And as far as my last post goes I just hauled my 20D out of it's bag and set it to take RAW only... now to see how it all goes.

I started with RAW but recently I've been moving back to JPEG. Why? Well in some situations where the light is constantly changing etc. It is helpful to have the freedom that RAW gives. Also, if it is difficult to correctly expose an image then RAW also helps.

However, it is easy to set the white balance correctly before shooting. So unless there's a particular difficutly with the exposure then I usually shoot JPEG. Its quicker process, takes up less space and I can take more pictures :)

In the end I guess its a matter of personal preference.

PS. D70 - Great camera. I have one too and I love it :)

JPEGs can degrade the image - they use 'lossy' compression (the more you compress the file size the more info is thrown away and it starts with the fine detail) but this is only a problem if the file size is compressed. Uncompressed JPEGs compare well with any other format.
The JPEG thing only becomes a problem if the compression is automatic. The manufacturer might have decided to do this. Go through the menus and manual to see if you have a compression option you can play with. If not choose a file type that doesn't compress like RAW or TIFF.

I shoot RAW when taking portraits and such.
LJpeg rest of the time.

Gets alittle time to go through and process a full card of snapshots.

I'd shoot with what your comfortable with.

Shooting JPEG also let me shoot more pics/second so i think im gonna stick with that. tx everybody for your input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back