Do you think I have an "eye" for this?

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For those who have seen my photos and progress, I was wondering if people (especially those who have been doing this for a while) think I have an eye for this. I know I'm not that good YET, but I was wondering if there is something that can be seen in my photos or attitude that shows I will be good one day. I'm more than willing to work as hard as I need to to get where I need to go. I just at times wonder if I have an eye, or talent (even though I know I am not great YET) or any potential that can be seen.

I've been at this for about a month & 1/2

I think so. Learning compositional theory and the elements of design take a long time to fully utilize, and from what I have seen, you are off to a good start.

Whether you have an "eye" or not is a very subjective question. You're already an accomplished artist, so really what you're doing is learning a new medium. I firmly believe that almost anyone can be a good photographer if they apply themselves. FWIW, from what I've seen of your work, I think there is potential. What you really need to do however, is to shoot a series which isn't your own idea, in other words, have someone, friend, family-member give you a topic, and then go out and shoot save five images based on your interpretation of that theme, then post them back here, along with the theme idea and see what the members think.

find the subject and the composition will follow, the problem is that the subject isn't what's in front of the lens, but what the scene means to you. Stop focussing on things, and you'll get there.

To add to what tired iron, shoot strictly abstracts to test your composition skills.

I think anyone who is serious will occasionally do exercises. My two favorite exercises are to focus only at minimum distance without zoom or AF. Set the camera to its closest non-macro distance, like maybe a foot or so, go to your most favorite location and shoot everything within that focal distance by moving the camera in or out to focus.

My next favorite exercise, the one I seldom do because ts so frustrating, pick some random subject, and spend a predetermined amount of time (not frames) thinking about it and photographing it.

Look at lots of photographs from many different time periods and genres, pay special attention to well known photographers you don't appreciate, try to understand why they are important.

Whether you have an "eye" or not is a very subjective question. You're already an accomplished artist, so really what you're doing is learning a new medium. I firmly believe that almost anyone can be a good photographer if they apply themselves. FWIW, from what I've seen of your work, I think there is potential. What you really need to do however, is to shoot a series which isn't your own idea, in other words, have someone, friend, family-member give you a topic, and then go out and shoot save five images based on your interpretation of that theme, then post them back here, along with the theme idea and see what the members think.

Wow, this is such good avdice. I want to do this.

I agree with tierdon and bitter. You are an accomplished artist and learning anew area. And you've got the determination from what I have read in your posts. Keep at it chica! Your doing great for a month and a half. It's like learning to play music (another fav hobby, wanted to be profession I have) the more you practice the better you get :)

......I firmly believe that almost anyone can be a good photographer if they apply themselves.....
I whole heartedly agree.

The key words are "if they apply themselves". Today to many rely on a cameras automatic features, and never gain an understanding of the technical and artistic aspects of doing photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back