What's new

Dock jumping

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 28, 2008
Messages
6,631
Reaction score
2,588
Location
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We went to see some dogs being trained to dock jump so I could try my hand @ action shots. I learned I have to use higher than ISO 400 with f8 in order to get a better shutter speed. Here are two not so sharp pics from my learning experience.


P1030105sm.jpg



P1030108sm.jpg
 
They're very green in the white balance department, the water must have been giving off a cast. I like #1 - not sure about the girl being cut a bit, but it's a nice action shot and shows what's going on there very well.
 
I think a good CPL filter would help out as well.

Dock diving is a great sport- I love it.



p!nK
 
I think a stop faster would have worked, unless you wanted the motion captured. I think the idea is conveyed without it though, it also would have helped with the overexposure you can see on the back of the dog. I am not sure a CPL or a custom white balance would have helped on this green cast though. I am sure the bottom of the pool was either painted green or maybe its coming off of the indoor/outdoor carpet that is lining everything.
 
They are very noisy for only 400 ISO (look at the woman's pants and head in #1). I would have definitely opened the lens up a lot more and kept the ISO down as much as possible, while still getting a faster shutter speed.
 
Why were you shooting at F8, i would have been at about F4 that would have given you 2 stops on your shutter speed which you need because dogs are fast, i shoot a lot of dog agility and try to be at 1/640 minimum
 
Not only the carpeting was green but so was the pool liner & I was shooting mid-day.

I had a CPL on to reduce glare - it helped a bit.

I was using a manual focus 58mm lens & thought that I had a better chance of keeping the subject in focus with a tight aperture as I had to preset the focus.

Here is a shot facing the jumpers.

P1030003sm.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom