Yeah, I hear you there. I'd rather get the money in a d90 to get the commander. $250 more dollars for a sb-900. I'm guessing I could sell my d40 for $300 locally and then spend $250 more plus a little and get a D90. I have commander then and HDR and 12 megapix and metal body. This habit is getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yeah, I would do the upgrade too personally. However, as has been stated, the D90 doesn't have a metal body...but it does feel more sturdy than the lower end bodies in my opinion. Also bracketing, I find useful for HDR's as well, but it isn't a requirement to make HDR's. Personally, I"d upgrade to the D90 for commander mode if I was you....if you don't want to be out anymore money you could also upgrade to a D80.....or not upgrade and just buy a used D70s as a second body to use solely for off camera flash work. I used my D70s a lot and it is still a great body....actually wish I had kept it as a second body to my D90.