Does anybody collect knives or tools?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Drive-By-Shooter

Drive-By-Shooter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i've not yet tried ceramics. any opinion on them?
    good knives are critical for food prep.
    when i was dating my wife, she did not have a good knife, so i bought her one. i could tell she thought it ugly, so i explained high carbon steel will hold an edge better but is not 'pretty' and will rust easily. have been using that knife for 25+ years, sharpening it each time with a handheld stone, it is probably not too far off from being ready for sushi!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Ceramic rod-type sharpeners: A MAJOR improvement over most common whetstones. I have one I use now, with two small ceramic rods held at an angle, inside of a counter-sitting device. Works great, fast, repeatable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drive-By-Shooter

Photos OK to edit
    not sure why the ugly high carbon knife pic did not upload. this site is flaky lately. trying again
    i looked up the brand "old forge" and apparently they are collectable. i see why.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A couple of my favorite knives are older than me, and are carbon steel, not the newer stainless steel. Old, wood handles, riveted on,etc. EASY and fast to sharpen. On a ceramic sharpener, the older carbon steel knife blades sharpen easily, and I think, with less metal removed from the blade than on most whetstones. To me the ceramic sharpening device I have is like a hard,white Arkansas stone, but works better.

5. Drive-By-Shooter

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the tip about ceramic sharpeners.
    most of you probably know of A.G. Russell knives. it is safe to request their catalog as long as you are not a collector. LOL A. G. Russell: Your Source for Knives & Accessories
    I love their portable chef's knife. i always take it on vacation and usually to a party in case i'm asked to help in the kitchen, which is most of the time. very sharp and even tho a folder, fairly comfy in the hand.
    p.s. every kitchen should have their giant tweezers. use them every day.

Attached Files:

6. Drive-By-Shooter

Photos OK to edit
  7. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ceramic knives are extremely sharp but chip easily if you hit anything too hard like bone, glass, etc.

8. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    a 1999 colorized ASE ?

9. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not really a collector but I do have a small collection of knives and a quite large collection of tools.

Most of my knives are unbranded and I just bought them because I liked them but my favorites are my Victorinox Swiss Champ (in black) which I have had since I was 15, a Leatherman multi tool that my partner got me when we first got together (she made a really good choice with that one!), a Rapala filleting knife (my fishing knife), a 2.5" wood handled lockback that I picked up at a flea market in South Africa (inexpensive but the shape on it is awesome), a wood handled sheathed knife I picked up in Finland, a 12" throwing knife, an antique cutthroat razor (from Whipped Dog) and yes I do shave with it, and most recently a Leatherman micra. My kitchen knives are Globals (and are most fantastic) though I have an assortment of others they are the ones I use all the time.

My good tools are either from my apprenticehip or have been passed on to me. My most prized ones are old but have really good shapes to them (manufactured back in the day when people actually made stuff and a well shaped tool was important).

My most used one is probably my Leatherman followed by my Victorinox. I also like shooting airguns.

10. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

My cooking knives include a ceramic knife for fruits and vegetables only. Ceramic knives do chip easy so should not be used for chopping or on meats. My cooking knives include a 10" chefs knife, 7" Santaku, a 6" general purpose, a good boning knife, a serrated vegetable knife along with the ceramic knife and 3 paring knives as well as a good quality honing steel to keep the cutting edges straight.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  11. TrolleySwag

TrolleySwag No longer a newbie, moving up!

I love buying Painted Ladies. They are cheaper, most I take the paint of though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

THis type is predicated on pushing the blade "downward" along the rod...there are other types in which the rods are smaller, and are closer together, forming a much narrower "V" shape, and in which the blade is simply placed, then pulled backwards or pushed forward, along the length of the blade, from the tang area, and then toward the tip. You can stop by a Harbor Freight Tools and buy one of these ceramic "V" tools for $5.99. AMAZING. On an older carbon-steel blade like my multiple butcher's knives or boning knives from the 70's, five pulls of the blade thru the ceramic V brings an edge that will fillet a salmon without any mishaps, and in my opinion, is easier, since the "angle" is one, simple angle, for both edges, and does not depend on maintaining a complex downward angle on two, separated ceramic rods.

In the Russel system, the operator must maintain the angle of the downward stroke,consistently, on two, seaprated rods....in the older type ceramic "V", which has been around for 60 years or so, you just "pull back on the whole knife", keeping the top of the handle level...the V bottom itself is the sharpening edge...the Russel system is basically, back to whetsone-era-tech, in which the skill of the operator plays a big part in the type of edge you get.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017