Does anybody collect knives or tools?

It depends on what type of edge you want and what type of steel you're using. A highly polished edge won't last as long as a more toothy working edge. I have been sharpening freehand for quite a while now and have tried many sharpeners. I find what works best is sharpening up a burr on both sides and knocking it down each time until you're left with what's behind that wire edge. When you use a carbide sharpener it just mushes the edge, 100$ or 5$. A torn piece of paper (carbide) isn't going to be as clean as a cut piece of paper (ceramic).

thanks for clarifying & saving me money! i wondered about this difference...
now i know what to put on my birthday list! A.G. Russell Ceramic Sharpening Rods

THis type is predicated on pushing the blade "downward" along the rod...there are other types in which the rods are smaller, and are closer together, forming a much narrower "V" shape, and in which the blade is simply placed, then pulled backwards or pushed forward, along the length of the blade, from the tang area, and then toward the tip. You can stop by a Harbor Freight Tools and buy one of these ceramic "V" tools for $5.99. AMAZING. On an older carbon-steel blade like my multiple butcher's knives or boning knives from the 70's, five pulls of the blade thru the ceramic V brings an edge that will fillet a salmon without any mishaps, and in my opinion, is easier, since the "angle" is one, simple angle, for both edges, and does not depend on maintaining a complex downward angle on two, separated ceramic rods.

In the Russel system, the operator must maintain the angle of the downward stroke,consistently, on two, seaprated rods....in the older type ceramic "V", which has been around for 60 years or so, you just "pull back on the whole knife", keeping the top of the handle level...the V bottom itself is the sharpening edge...the Russel system is basically, back to whetsone-era-tech, in which the skill of the operator plays a big part in the type of edge you get.

Your photo included a 1999 Colorized American Silver Eagle under the handle
_ral0200-jpg.133714

have some Kyocera ceramics. Nice having decent knives in the kitchen.
i've not yet tried ceramics. any opinion on them?
good knives are critical for food prep.
when i was dating my wife, she did not have a good knife, so i bought her one. i could tell she thought it ugly, so i explained high carbon steel will hold an edge better but is not 'pretty' and will rust easily. have been using that knife for 25+ years, sharpening it each time with a handheld stone, it is probably not too far off from being ready for sushi!

I really like them. Use them strictly for fruits and veggies. Got a 6 or 7" chef style one as a gift a few years ago. Think it was Kitchenaid. Loved it. Sliced tomatoes like a dream. Until it was accidently knocked off the counter. An Amazon gift card made the decision to buy this set, real easy.

Amazon.com: Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 3-inch Paring and 5-1/2-inch Santoku Knife Set, Black Handle, White Blade: Paring Knives: Kitchen & Dining

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They even make mixed blades now with a ceramic edge but the rest is metal. I don't understand why because normally they'll do that to give the blade some give and flexability while having a tougher metal at the edge.

Most reactions

Back