Does anybody collect knives or tools?

but what the heck do you know? canon and suzzie versus nikon and cbr1000rr! just kidding
the applegate is an amazing knife, just the way it is weighted, a comfy handle and double sided.
I agree. I have handled one in the past and it was a very nice knife. Hey I don't hate on Honda! Or Nikon lol. In fact, I contemplated switching to nikon around the time I got my 80d. I had canon lenses so I felt compelled to stick, but within a month I was upgrading lenses, should have just switched and used my old body until I could afford a nikon lens. Oh well. I am not at all a Gerber knives fan, leave Gerber to baby food, but the older boot knives are very nice as well.

Nice find @Derrel !

They used to call that set Stylus I believe. I purchased the same when I began cooking professionally a couple years ago. They have a thin bolster.

One of the only things I dislike in the design of a kitchen knife ( Chef/ French/ Gyoto/ Whatever Germans call it) is when there is a thick bolster extending to the heel. A lot of German and French designed knives have this.

Ironically the one piece design of the Stylus is a particularly clean one, food/ bacteria/ viruses do not have potential places to hide out in, but the block is about the worse design to hold knives, from a food safety standpoint.

Wusthof is certainly one of the bigger knife makers, wether " most" @gryphonslair99 use them would certainly be debateable. Most " Chefs" I know would use any good sharp knife and own multiple makers. I have 3 go to " Chef" knives.

A good reason to throw out a professional kitchen knife is if the belly is dished. I hate that. Certainly " fixable" but worth the effort on a 5$ knife, nope. Rather it out of the kitchen. A good inspector would probably tell youbto get rid of a block.

I havent used the utility knife in years, funny but utility knives have the least utility, to me at least but really they're useless.... , the paring knife is a brutal design, way too big, I really dislike it, I use 1$ Supermarket brands, and the Chef knife is for some reason not very comfortable, probably the belly just needs some working now that Im thinking about it.

They certainly are fine for home use don't get me wrong thats why I still have them here at home, but not in my work kit!

All anyone really needs is one good " Chef" knife and a paring knife, both of which you should know how to sharpen and be comfortable in your hand. Start at 8" and move up to 10.5" once the 8 is comfortable and prep becomes much, much easier with a tiny bit if technique. Then the 8 can become your beater, bone breaker etc.

Steels sharpening knives is a myth. I solely sharpen on stones and dont bother with steels. Stropping is inriguinfmg but Ive necer delved that deep into the kniving business.

My Gerber boot knife ( 2 sided parachute knife little dagger) was stolen from me in High School, I guess thats why I never got into a collection, that really miffed me and still does ffs, my old man was Military 27 years and brought it back from tour :(

Thanks for reading if you got this far lol.

I recently dumpster-dove for an almost-complete set of J.A. Henckel's kitchen knives with something that was fascinating to me: large-ish handles on every knife, made out of the same type and color of stainless steel as the blades. I have other chef's, other 6 and 8-inch slicers, and other serrated knives, but the ease of sanitizing and cleaning a knife with a unitized, stainless steel handle was too much to pass up. I got five out of the six knives of the set for free..one was missing...I added them to the collection that goes back to the 1970's. But no, not really much oa a knife nor tool collector per se.

Nice find on the Henckels. I found this set (complete) in a thrift store for 14.99. Had a cheaper set that I found for 10.00. Gave those to my son.

Amazon.com: Henckels Fine Edge Pro 18-pc. Cutlery Set (31497-000): Block Knife Sets: Kitchen & Dining

Also have some Kyocera ceramics. Nice having decent knives in the kitchen. Struggled with cheap ones for years.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMG_6133.JPG

OG, steels don't sharpen, they realign the edge. So yes, a myth, but I do use a steel in the kitchen from time to time. How do you store knives in the kitchen? Magnetic strip? I prefer the longer knives, maybe 8 inch or so, 2" tall thinner blade when cooking. I use a paring knife sometimes. Is a chefs knife the taller blades?

Magnetic strips are great! Id love to get a custom wood one made with a good mag in it. Or, a tool box works wonders.

Yes, when we say "Chef" Knife its the taller blade, also refered to as "French", " Kitchen", " Gyuto", not sure what the Germans call it. In french sometimes a Sabatier can refer to pretty much any knife maker, they brand some Sabatier and a there are many old blades kicking around, apparantly they found a warehouse in France with like 60k blades that were pre war.... kinda neat if you can get a custom one.

8" is small for a Chef knife, if your doing much cookiing at all try a larger blade ( go up in increments of 1" or so) 12" is Big!

Shun is the most infamous maker at the moment IMO because Williams Sonoma ( and others) shills for them and also Global or Porsche ( lol) as well quite over priced IMO but also pretty awesome in the right hands.

OGsPhotography said:

THESE are the same ones I dumpster-dove for. it was actually a cardboard box , right BY the dumpster, filled with kichenware. But yeah, same handles, same blades, plus the block.

OGsPhotography said:

THESE are the same knives I dumpster-dove for! THey were actually in a cardboard box, right BY the dumpster, filled with kichenware. But yeah, same handles, same blades, plus the block.

OGsPhotography said:

THSE are the same ones I dumpster-dove for. it was actrually a box ful, right BY the dumpster,m filled with kichenware. But yeah, same handles, same blades,

OGsPhotography said:

THESE are the same ones I dumpster-dove for. it was actually a cardboard box , right BY the dumpster, filled with kichenware. But yeah, same handles, same blades, plus the block.

OGsPhotography said:

THESE are the same knives I dumpster-dove for! THey were actually in a cardboard box, right BY the dumpster, filled with kichenware. But yeah, same handles, same blades, plus the block.

Wow, you dumpster dove 3 times for the same knives !!
:)

though 2 were for "THESE" and 1 for "THSE"

Im a Chef. Not denying that I use knives. Pretty sure I don't collect them, although I probably would if I could afford it and hadnt had that one nice gifted knife stolen, thats why Im here in this this thread stirring up poop. I have a professional interest in knives.

Im a Chef. Not denying that I use knives. Pretty sure I don't collect them, although I probably would if I could afford it and hadnt had that one nice gifted knife stolen, thats why Im here in this this thread stirring up poop. I have a professional interest in knives.
I use this for all my Chef needs
IMG_9218.JPG

have some Kyocera ceramics. Nice having decent knives in the kitchen.
i've not yet tried ceramics. any opinion on them?
good knives are critical for food prep.
when i was dating my wife, she did not have a good knife, so i bought her one. i could tell she thought it ugly, so i explained high carbon steel will hold an edge better but is not 'pretty' and will rust easily. have been using that knife for 25+ years, sharpening it each time with a handheld stone, it is probably not too far off from being ready for sushi!

Ceramic rod-type sharpeners: A MAJOR improvement over most common whetstones. I have one I use now, with two small ceramic rods held at an angle, inside of a counter-sitting device. Works great, fast, repeatable.

not sure why the ugly high carbon knife pic did not upload. this site is flaky lately. trying again
i looked up the brand "old forge" and apparently they are collectable. i see why.

Attachments

• _RAL0193.jpg
    _RAL0193.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 137

Most reactions

Back