mjcmt

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone do North American big game photography, which is my favorite nature photography?

I know it takes a lot of effort stalking, possibly setting up blinds, and waiting, all similar to hunting.
White tail deer are plentiful and I see a few shots of them, but not often bucks in the rut. Also, what about elk, moose, caribou, big horn sheep, prong horn, bears, etc.

I dream of the opportunity to pursue this, unfortunately I'm a city dweller, but would love to own a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 and 200-5oo 5.6 for my Nikon D750 for that purpose. Truth is I'm a poor retiree so I'll have to be content looking at others photos.

I'd love to see your photos of NA big game animals.

Thank you,
Mike

Big Game in North America is notoriously difficult especially during the rut, and more importantly, safety is an absolute!

1: Big game of any species requires that you know how to apply photography in the same way you would actually hunt.
Knowing the quarry.
2: Knowing WHERE to go to find them.
3: BLAZE ORANGE!!!!
I cannot emphasize this enough!
I have been both hunter and photographer of big game (with nearly no luck BTW) for a long time. I have seen and heard of many the mistakes of the walkabout-ers who tripped up in a hunting zone.

It is difficult to do and requires a certain amount of skill.

The lenses seem to be fine, and outside of the weatherproofing aspects you should be ok with what you have.

Depending on the location you go to, from Upper State NY to the Gila Wilderness in NM the rules will be mostly the same, but whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO PASS OFF AS A HUNTER!

If all your doing is photographing, make sure you do your homework to the area. (Permits, licenses, etc.)
Understand that most big game shots will be long distance, with some surprises along the way.

Gear is obvious, but so too is provisions, First Aid, and other items that once in the bush you will need just in case.

Simply put, if you have experience hunting big game, simply switch the weapon for a camera.

And DEFINITELY let people know where your going and STICK to it!

As a gun and bow hunter after white tails in my past life w/ a number of mounted bucks plus missed opportunities too, I'm aware of the skill it takes. I've never applied my skills to photography though I'd like to, but I don't have the hunting land available to me. I don't live out west for other greater big game. I used to watch hunting video all the time before hunting season to inspire me.

Remember Leonard Lee Rue III, a successful big game wildlife photographer. When I was a hunter his work inspired me and I thought if I stopped gun hunting I'll like to try hunting w/ a camera.

I'm still wondering if anyone here is a successful big game photog so I can see your photos.

Last edited:
I'm not in USA so no but I have stalked and photographed wild Red Deer over here (not semi domesticated in so called wild life parks, centers or farms). That’s as big as our game gets.

I would love to but when I used to hunt I've personally been shot at by another hunter (I was wearing Blaze orange fron head to toe). I now keep out of known hunting areas.

Are big gators considered big game? I know where I can get some shots of bunches of them, they're in a remote spot about an hour away and practically laying on top of one another, according to one aerial pic I've seen of them.

Spam alert.

Does anyone do North American big game photography, which is my favorite nature photography?

I know it takes a lot of effort stalking, possibly setting up blinds, and waiting, all similar to hunting.
White tail deer are plentiful and I see a few shots of them, but not often bucks in the rut. Also, what about elk, moose, caribou, big horn sheep, prong horn, bears, etc.

I dream of the opportunity to pursue this, unfortunately I'm a city dweller, but would love to own a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 and 200-5oo 5.6 for my Nikon D750 for that purpose. Truth is I'm a poor retiree so I'll have to be content looking at others photos.

I'd love to see your photos of NA big game animals.

Thank you,
Mike

Like this !

untitled (2 of 2015-2.jpg

I think the OP said North American big game...that is clearly one of the former Russian Federation's female weightlifting Olympians;)

I think the OP said North American big game...that is clearly one of the former Russian Federation's female weightlifting Olympians;)

Yes, either Romanian or East German.

Best place to shoot big game in NA, is Yellowstone NP. Especially in winter with almost no one else is there, (and for good reason!).

The animals aren't tame so don't be foolish and think you can walk right up to them like the dumb summer tourist do. Good way to get gored!

But they are used to people and a 70 to 200 zoom will get you some great shots of buffalo, elk maybe a moose or two. And if you're really lucky a wolf.

I'll put up a few I took from a winter trip there a few years ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back