Does anyone know how to?

OldChipper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have no idea where I should post this question, so I'll start here, if you can't help me, then maybe you can tell me where I should post.
I received a DVD disk, that has a slide show of pictures taken at a family reunion. I would like to get the pictures off the disk and print them out for our photo book. I can view it okay, but I can't get any of my programs to extract the files off the disk. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4, and Photodeluxe business edition.
I contacted sender, and she told me she did it with, Kodak Easyshare that came with her camera. She can't open the files either on the copy of the DVD she made for herself. The big problem is, she erased the images as she downloaded them, so the only copies we have are on these DVD's. Any one have any ideas?
Thanks

Do you have the original software the slide show was made with? Maybe with that you could extract the pictures...
Cosmo

I'm assuming this is windows...

1) Go to Start >> Run and type cmd. This will give you a DOS prompt

2) What drive is your CD rom in? For example if it was the e: drive then type "e:" (assuming e: is the CD drive)

3) type dir

What do you see listed? Sometimes programs like that create a directory on CD that Windows doesn't have permission to see, so you have to kind of hack in there. If there was an obvious directory, say images then you could:

4) type cd\images (This changes you to the images directory)

5) copy *.* c:\whatever folder you want to copy to

I had the same issue with a CD from Walmart my sister sent me and I had to copy the files this way to avoid sending my personal info to the a**monkeys at the evil empire. I Hope that gets you somewhere!

~Dewey

I think we need to know a little more, OldChipper. When you view the photos, in what application is that?
Can you copy the individual photo files to your harddisk?
Do the individual photo files have an extension? Like ".jpg" or ".psd"? If so, what is it?
Maybe you can upload an example of one of those files to http://www.yousendit.com/. This is how it works: you send it to your own eMail address, you get a URL, you post/paste that URL here. Then we can download it and tinker with it. See what we can come up with to get them off of that DVD 'in one piece'.

Of course this is all on the assumption the DVD does contain one on one digital copies of the trashed original files. And not 'just' screen versions....

dewey said:
I had the same issue with a CD from Walmart my sister sent me and I had to copy the files this way to avoid sending my personal info to the a**monkeys at the evil empire.
~Dewey

rotflmao. yeah that says it all.

:D

Sorry but it's a little silly... I buy a photo CD from Walmart, and then unless I give the evil empire my email address and download their little "program" (aka spyware) I can't get MY pics off of the CD I PAID FOR? I think not.

I'm buying my sister a CD burner for Christmas :lol:

~Dewey

Most reactions

Back