What's new

Does anyone know how weatherproof the Canon 7d really is?

Mendoza

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
159
Reaction score
2
Location
California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going on a trip tomorrow and it looks like rain. I've taken pictures in a drizzle with the 7d but that's it. I also recall a short of video of someone putting their 7d in the shower as a test and it apparently still worked. Of course I'll still have a plastic bag over the camera as I'm not won over by a single video but the question remains:
Does anyone know how weather/waterproof the 7d is? Ever taken it out in the rain?
 
I can't speak for the 7D, but I've had one of my 20Ds completely soaked when I got caught in a downpour while in a rain forest canopy. It got wet enough that the LCD screen fogged up on the inside, and it took about a week before that cleared up...but the camera didn't miss a beat. I took the battery out when it was really wet, but I put it back in and continued to shoot on the way back to base camp. Exactly 5 years later and it still works great.

It's not something I'd recommend, but it's nice to know that more than a little water won't automatically kill these things.

And as far as I know, the 7D has more/better weather sealing than the 20D.
 
Crazy awesome; thanks. I feel a lot more comfortable now and may go without the plastic bag as that is incredibly awkward. Of course I'll still keep it covered with something, and as you say, the lens is the weak link in the chain.
 
Crazy awesome; thanks. I feel a lot more comfortable now and may go without the plastic bag as that is incredibly awkward. Of course I'll still keep it covered with something, and as you say, the lens is the weak link in the chain.

Not just the lens, but the seal between the lens and the body. Many "L" lenses are weatherproof too (but not all). I've taken mine out in a drizzle with no bad effects, but I don't have any weatherproof lenses so I'm cautious.
 
You might want to ensure that your gear is insured, that can really give you the peace of mind to get out there and get the shot when the weather isn't great.
 
You might want to ensure that your gear is insured, that can really give you the peace of mind to get out there and get the shot when the weather isn't great.


Mike, I just want to commend your grammar (or technically, usage). The man who can correctly use "ensure" and "insure" is a rare find on the internet.
 
I just bang on the keys :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom