Does anyone read AND respond to these things? :-)

naptime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toledotees.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate when people join forums and don't introduce themselves, so here I am!!

My name is Jay. But everyone just calls me nap. It's a long story.

Anyway, I own a small t-shirt screen printing business. And I’m a single dad with a 16 year old daughter.

She’s been playing violin since she was in 4th grade. It's pretty much her life.

Before high school started, she decided she wanted to be a graphic artist and/or a photographer (she does not want music to be her major)

So, we've been tailoring her school schedule to allow her to take photography her senior year. Still two years off.

But, a few months ago, she started asking for "one of those big fancy cameras that she can change the lens on" lol

Well, of course, I knew she was talking about DSLR, even though she doesn’t know it hehehe

I had some tough decisions to make. I really wanted to get her a camera for Christmas. But, a dslr was not in the budget for this month. So instead I decided, I would rather she learn the old fashioned way... reading... and film...

so I went with a canon eos rebel 2000 film.

A good dslr was not in the budget. I did not want to go used, because of the sensor shelf lives. And I could not afford a proper new dslr this month. So I knew we needed to go with SLR film. But, I did not want to spend too much, because I knew that whatever we bought now would be temporary until I get her a dslr. Providing of course, that she puts some effort into learning the fundamentals. Otherwise, no point in spending the cash on an expensive dslr.

We went with canon Eos, because I knew that the lenses we got now would be able to be used on a digital Eos as well. So all we would need to do is get our hands on a digital body when we were ready.

So, for the time being, I searched eBay and got my hands on two rebel Eos 2000's each with a 35-80 canon lens. One of them also came with a quantaray 70-300 lens. The first camera showed up tonight with the stock lens and the quantaray. Can’t wait for Christmas to come!!

I also picked us both up a copy of The Basic Book of Photography by tom & Michelle Grimm. Waiting on those to arrive.

And now, here I am, scouring the web, trying to learn as much as I can.

She’ll join after she actually has a camera :) at this point she thinks she isn’t getting one because she knows it wasn't in the budget :)

So yeah, there ya go. There’s my introduction. :)

I have questions, but I’ll reserve those for proper sections.

Your nick name caught me... I have narcolepsy so it made me chuckle a bit.
You are doing her and you great favors learning on film first!!! Buy LOTS of film and be prepared to have your most exciting, long awaited photos flop at first, but it will be so rewarding when you do get it and you'll both be MUCH better photographers than you would be if you picked up a digital and didn't have to think carefully about what you would be producing on the film.

Keep a journal as you are shooting. Each frame is nice, but if you are shooting several frames or a roll in a certain location with the same conditions that's just fine too.
In your jornal write down the lighting conditions-how bright/dark if there are a lot of shadows or shady areas, etc. Everything about the light. Then everything about what you are photographing-still or in motion? How fast is the motion? near or far? wide angle or zoomed?
This is the killer-write down the settings you used on the camera. With digital you can go back and look at that data at any time. With film you can't just go to the computer and see.
Then when you have your photos in hand you can look at what you wrote, look at your book or lesson you are working with and you will learn TONS from what you see!

Welcome to the forum, enjoy

thanks for the welcome folks.

i had not thought about keeping a notebook handy...

i'll be sure to add that to her gift box of accessories!!

i chose film, obviously my first motivation was budget.. but also i have an aunt that was a photography in the 80's and i of course that was film, and she started with black and white. i have a cousin in her 3rd year of photography in college, and while she is in digital now, her entire first year was black and white film. so, should she take some photography classes in school, she'll be set..

but i know its not gonna be long before i swap her to digital. 3 bucks for a roll of film, and 5 bucks to develop.. and now im having a problem find black and white film locally, as well as someone to process it.

Hi Jay, nice to meet you! I think its sweet that you are investing in your daughter and when she goes off to do what she will with her photography experience, it won't matter how much it cost but that you took the time to believe in her and I'm sure that will mean a lot to her. Who knows, she may end up making you rich one day ;)

Get the books "The Photographers Eye" and "Learning to See Creatively".

No sense just learning the tech of it, and not the art. :sexywink:

Welcome to the forum. I think she'll be happy with the camera. Boxes of film would be a good stocking stuffer now too.

The next step is to get her developing her own film (it's actually pretty easy)... LOL - then you'll need a film scanner and/or enlarger... She'll also be way ahead of the class by then.

You can get everything you need (chemicals included) to develop film for roughly $150. Much less if you can find it on craig's list or something. People are giving that stuff away these days. You may even be able to find an enlarger for cheap.

Film is far from dead, despite what you may have read.

Check out Freestyle for film (as well as anything else film related).

Hey, and whenever she "upgrades" to digital, all of her lenses will work on her new camera.

Have a look at KEH.com for used cameras. Their prices are generally pretty good, and their ratings are generous. I have found "bargain grade" equipment to be in damn good shape there. If there is actually something wrong with the camera or lens, it will say so in the description.

Most reactions

Back