Does this camera exist ?

briarder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a Digital camera for my Dad. He would be intimidated with all the "bells & whistles " on most digital Slr cameras, but would like to shoot in manual only. Is there a simple digital Slr that is like some old film cameras, such as the Pentax K 1000, that is completely manual only ?

Not to my knowledge.

That being said, however, it's very easy to set the camera to manual -- and once you do, it works virtually identically to the old film cameras. You turn it on, look through the viewfinder, adjust aperture and shutter, focus with auto or manual, and push the button.

The only difference I can think of (other than downloading the images rather than taking out film) is that you set ISO on the camera, rather than by choosing appropriate film -- but it's not hard to figure out how.

All the rest of the stuff -- the bells and whistles -- will still be there, but if you never touch them it doesn't make any difference. The camera still basically works the same as it ever has.

Edit: One suggestion, though -- consider getting a camera with an info screen on the top. This may feel more like an old film camera (depending on how far back you go, of course) -- and it's a very basic display, which keeps things simple. The Canon 50D has the top screen -- but the Canon Rebel line does not.

Last edited:
Yes, practically any DSLR can be used in fully manual mode, with all the bells & whistles turned off.

Thanks ! I'm just afraid he might be intimidated by all the buttons, but I could show him the basic stuff to set, such as ISO, then just let him shoot in manual mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back