Does this convey speed well enough?

EscapeTurn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I realize it's not the best quality, but when you look at this picture, do you think "man that dog was goin fast!" or do you think "cool, a dog running" and then just go back to your browsing?

She was practically flying across the field, possibly the fastest i've seen her run, but I'm wondering if the picture actually conveys the speed or not.

If not, how could it be improved?

Thanks! :wink:

run16.jpg

mmm not really for me. looks more like she's hopping around at a moderate speed. :)

a standard way of getting things to 'look fast' is to stop down the aperture and shoot longer (at least 1/4 of a second or so) exposures. Then wait until the subjects passes by you and pan the scene during the exposure. Looks like you already have done this before by your avatar, but if you can make it so the subject is almost sharp and the background is completely blurred, it makes for a nice 'speedy' image. hope that helps!

I agree with trying the panning technique to display action. You may need to be resting the camera on something (tripod helps to) to reduce the 'up-and-down' camera shake. The only problem with doing these hots, is you are lucky if you get one that comes out good enough. But these are the best for displaying speed.

I like the fact that he is in mid-bound, but it doens't quite mean 'speed' to me. Personally I think speed would be shown more in the 'tuck-tail-and-run', where they are crouched down, all four legs down. Or pehaps just having one foot on the gorund (either the back or front), helps to display power.

By the way, also like how you included the shadow.

Thanks! I actually have tried panning the camera, but they move so fast that their legs blur along with the background. Is there any way to fix that? 'preciate the comments!

Nope, unless you demand they run like the horses on the carousel ;) I think with the movement in teh legs as well, it will help define the idea of speed though. Good luck. Do show us when you get around to it.

Alright, how about this? Quality is terrible, i know, but how about the position?

dazrun10.jpg

If it was a side view or partial front.. :thumbup: . I think that is teh classic greyhound look, and it 'defines' speed the best.

Leg blur is okay if you're panning to blur the background... it means the legs are moving fast, which helps the effect. That kind of background blur is hard if the subject is coming more or less straight toward you. A perpendicular path (side view) is optimal.

Another thing you might do is try shooting several times in rapid succession. One of the shots might have a pose more indicative of an all-out run.

In the second photo, the effect is there, but it would probably help if the image was level... the dog would be appear leaned over even more, showing that she's really pulling some G-forces in that turn!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back