does this seem right?

ryan7783

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Been looking for a Canon 40D and have been saving up for a little time now. I was checking the internet at work and I came across this link. A Canon 40D body for $549??? Is this too good to be true? All the places I've been around town want around $1500 for the camera with a 28-135mm lens. Even if the lens is close to $400 alone thats still a savings of around $500-$600. Am I missing something?

http://www.pricingdepot.com/compare.asp?item=1901B004&show=specs

Just use B&H or Adorama and save your self the hassle.

I guess when they say body only, they really mean body only.. lol

Professional gear has next to no margins. If the price is more than a few percent off B&H or Adorama then all alarm bells should go off at once.

No way a canon 40D is 500bucks :)))

Well, a canon 40D is around 1000 bucks and a 28-135mm is 400 bucks... so here you go, that's the catch why the body is so inexpensive :))

My opinion, as other's opinion, go buy from b&h or, adorama.

Eh - now I'm leaning more towards the D300 since it's controls are layed out a lot like the D60. Anyone have any input?

Surely that is a joke! You just switched from Nikon to Canon and you are already thinking about going back to Nikon!!! Maybe you should have tried the Canon and check you liked the way it handles before buying. Would you buy a car without a test-drive?

Surely that is a joke! You just switched from Nikon to Canon and you are already thinking about going back to Nikon!!! Maybe you should have tried the Canon and check you liked the way it handles before buying. Would you buy a car without a test-drive?

thanks for your help. just forget I said anything.

We really need to gather a list of all these crap sites and post them all in one place and stickie it.
Actually, many of those sites come from a small handful of 'retailers'...which have a small 'hole-in-the-wall' stores in New York City. They just create different companies and sites when their rep gets too bad.

The best protection is to use common sense. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

The best protection is to use common sense. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Ain't that the truth! If you are at all worried about a site...a Google search can tell you a lot.

I know online shopping - and buying! - is all the rage these days. I do it myself.

But may I humbly suggest that when you're making a major equipment purchase (body, serious lens, etc.) that you consider buying from your local photo retailer (and, no, I'm not talking about Best Buy or WalMart), instead of B&H or Adorama.

As someone mentioned above, the markup on hard goods is very small, so you're very likely to shell out the same (within a reasonable range) no matter which legit retailer you get it from.

Of course, this assumes that your community still HAS a real camera store.

But anyhow ... you get the point.

BTW ... no, I don't work for nor do I own a small local camera store. But I AM lucky enough to have one nearby.

We really need to gather a list of all these crap sites and post them all in one place and stickie it.

Big Black list, do not buy from. Know.

Probably quicker to have a "White List" ... B&H, Adorama, Amazon

I bet there are hundreds of these bait and switch places. For all I know, all of them probably belong to the same person :(

Beside Best Buy and Ritz (HORRIBLE experiences there), wish I had a store dedicated to DSLR, or anything close.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back