does this seem right?

I only buy major things from stores I can physically go to if I have a problem. BH is in NY and I live in VA. We actually have a store called Richmond Camera - in Richmond, VA. They're cheaper than ritz which is right up the street.

We really need to gather a list of all these crap sites and post them all in one place and stickie it.
Big Black list, do not buy from. Know.

Its a heck of a lot easier to list the good sites to buy from rather than try to keep up with all the bait and switch places.

Two of the good ones are already listed as forum sponsors. ;)

Actually, many of those sites come from a small handful of 'retailers'...which have a small 'hole-in-the-wall' stores in New York City. They just create different companies and sites when their rep gets too bad.

The best protection is to use common sense. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Yes that is very true, all the more reason to list them and their aliases. I made a few posts some time ago in Buy and sell Explaining a few things to look for but I don't think any one is really going to find theme where they are as they are off topic by all technicality.

Posts 10 and 12 Here

Also, merely listing the names of the acceptable places would look like we are trying to artificially generate clicks on our sponsers and likely would not help. Chances are likely that many who fall for these scams wish to explore photography and have looked at reputable sites first and then went to try finding something less expescive, that is when they get into the mess because they found it and don't know any better.

Sorry, there are no shortcuts to this suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back