Does This "Wrong" Image Look Nice to Others As Well?

bvjgcigh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_3893.jpg

I took this image randomly recently, and for some reason- I like it a lot (yet everything about it seems wrong and "off"). However, I can't figure out why- and I don't know if this picture is appealing to other people as well... Any thoughts?

It's sort of a bokeh image...OOF foreground, some in-focus vegetation, then OOF background. It's kind of a visually abstracted shot, kind of random, erratic, unstudied, accidental, off-kilter, things of that nature. I'm not particularly fond of it, but hey... "it's different", you know?

My biggest issue is what is the subject?

If I were to take a picture from the same location and direction, I think I'd focus at the mountain peak and use a longer lens to minimize the amount of out of focus 'clutter' in the foreground. But then, I tend to be more of a 'documentary' style amateur photographer. For me, the 'artsy' stuff is more luck than 'seek and find'.

it's interesting, but there's no subject to hold the interest.

It's not appealing to me.

I dislike out-of-focus stuff in my face, probably more than most people, so that bothers me a lot, especially the little bit along the upper right edge. It may be that what you like is the shapes and textures of the tree-tops, but they need to be better framed or shot from closer in so that they fill the frame.

No, sorry, it just looks like a totally missed shot to me. That OOF branch in the foreground is so highly distracting, for me, that it would overpower the photo even if the rest of it were interesting; but as others have said, the whole photo just looks like there is no subject, no visual interest at all really.

To be honest, this looks like what happens when I sometimes accidentally hit the shutter while walking with the camera hanging at my side.

On the other hand, if there is something appealing about it to YOU, it's certainly worth investigating until you figure out what it is that appeals to you about it. That might help you create a much more effective image the next time.

The lack of subject kills it for me. My eyes were wandering all over it looking for 'the point'. I was distracted by the OOF foreground, cursing it for obstructing my search. In the end, I never did find Waldo.

Sorry. Not a fan. The image is too busy with nothing to capture interest. The parts that are in focus are seemingly only so by accident, and even they are only accidentally in the picture. Thre are accidents, and there are happy accidents. Unfortunately this one is just the former.

Alright thanks for the replies guys. I did notice the lack of the subject. Perhaps, I like the image because it is familiar or some other personal reasons. The reason I posted this was because this was literally a "missed shot", but I had some liking towards it.

No, sorry, it just looks like a totally missed shot to me. That OOF branch in the foreground is so highly distracting, for me, that it would overpower the photo even if the rest of it were interesting; but as others have said, the whole photo just looks like there is no subject, no visual interest at all really.

To be honest, this looks like what happens when I sometimes accidentally hit the shutter while walking with the camera hanging at my side.

On the other hand, if there is something appealing about it to YOU, it's certainly worth investigating until you figure out what it is that appeals to you about it. That might help you create a much more effective image the next time.
You actually nailed exactly what happened.

Alright thanks for the replies guys. I did notice the lack of the subject. Perhaps, I like the image because it is familiar or some other personal reasons. The reason I posted this was because this was literally a "missed shot", but I had some liking towards it.

If you like it, then like it. Don't give two craps what other people think. That's the beauty of all this.

Looks like someone was on a hike carrying a camera and it was shooting as they were holding it up in no particular direction.

no subject and the OOF branches with no leaves/pine needles just is confusing to look at.

But hey, it's your photo.

If you like it, then like it. Don't give two craps what other people think. That's the beauty of all this.
Thanks, but the point of an image is for others to enjoy it too.

Looks like someone was on a hike carrying a camera and it was shooting as they were holding it up in no particular direction.

no subject and the OOF branches with no leaves/pine needles just is confusing to look at.

But hey, it's your photo.
This was actually an accidental image captured as i was talking to someone.

Most reactions

Back