Does using live view normally effect exposure?

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, while using live view inside to manually focus the speed of my shot slowed from about 1/30 to 1/15th of a second. I was using aperture priority and tried with it on and off a few times with same result. The light inside was constant with camera on a tripod. I know this should not happen but in normal use has anyone else experienced this and if so do you know why?

The metering hardware involved when using the optical viewfinder requires direct light from the lens. When you switch to live view, the mirror that provides that light moves out of the way so the light can strike the sensor instead. The camera then employs a software based meter run from the data the sensor collects. It may come to a different conclusion about the amount of light in the scene than the optical meter. Also, with live view off, several metering modes are available (they each measure light from different parts of the scene), and each may be closer or further from the value that the liveview software obtains.

Thank you analog.universe. I thought there may have been slight fault in camera. Good to get educated

I would tend to agree with that.

Remember that the suggested exposure settings come from a metering system...and the camera may use a different system in live view mode. It might just be as simple as a different metering area. For example, when shooting normally, you may have it set to use spot or centre metering mode, but live view mode may be set to use matrix/evaluative metering. So if that's the case, differently reflective parts of you scene, may or may not be affecting the meter in either mode.

Or maybe the camera is just set to overexpose while in live view mode.

Thanks all for info, by sounds of it, its normal enough to get different exposure in live view. Its more than likely when using live view for the most part one would probably shoot full manual, hence eliminating metering. In any case your answers put me right.

To add to what has already been posted. Light entering the viewfinder can also effect your exposure. When you look through the viewfinder to shoot, you block this light. When using live view, you are not, so you might end up with additional light unless you manually block the vf. Of course, your shutter slowed which indicates "less" light or a change in the metering system, so that's probably not your problem here....but it is still something to consider.

Most reactions

Back