What's new

Does VR make THAT much difference?

Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,719
Reaction score
534
Location
Here N There
I've been having problem hand holding my telephoto still enough to make a sharp shoot. The lens I am referring to is the 70~300 ED AF F4~5.6 lens.

When I was shooting with F501, it's weight is decent and I didn't have issue with blurry images with the telephoto. I could get sharp images easily with ISO400 negative with shutter speed at 1/125 and above.

Then I got the F4S which is a beast. I started to struggle with the lens, but at ISO400, I still can manage most shots.

Then I got the D700, which is a little lighter than the F4S, and I have serious problem getting a clear shot. I have to crank the ISO up to about 800 or 1000 to get a shutter speed at around 1/800 to get a decent shot. Sometimes, that doesn't even do it.

So I was looking at other comparable lens that I can afford. The newer 70~300 AF-S VR F4.5~5.6 pops up. So my question is, will VR solve my problem with hand held shooting? Or do I really need a mono pod?
 
70-300 AF-S VR F4.5-5.6 = 745g

70-300 ED AF F4-5.6 = 515g (I think)

So you'd be going up in weight...keep that in mind.

VR will help, but only so much.
 
2/3 stops. As advertised, maybe slightly less but yes, it works and works well. I can shoot at speeds slower than focal length and get reasonably sharp shots.
 
VR works pretty well for me. I think one thing you mighty be seeing with the new D700 as opposed to 35mm slides/negatives is the simply HUGE capture size your D700 is making with each exposure. All the image flaws it's possible to achieve are captured and shown to you in all their imperfect,flawed glory (grins) in each D700 capture. Slight mis-focus. Slight subject motion blurring. Slightly inadequate depth of field. ALl of those types of image flaws that would have simply slid under the radar on a NegFile page full of slides, or even made their way past observation with a quality 10x loupe....because frankly, peeping at a 24x36mm image with a Schneider 10x loupe is in no way even close to as demanding as is opening up a D700 image to even 50% pixel size on a big, modern monitor...
 
I agree with what everyone posted, I like image stabilization. I also use a monopod quite frequently. One thing you may try if you think weight is an issue is to get a grip for your d700. It will add some weight and a nice big sturdy thing to grab. I am not familiar with nikon's camera line where the d700 lies, but with canon I do miss the larger size of my eos3 versus my 20d and I absolutely can't stand the rebel series- they just feel small and cheap. Even my old ae-1 program, while quite solid and fairly heavy, was too small for me.
 
I was able to stand in the back of the auditorium and pick my neighbor's granddaughter out.


(18-105 @ 24mm):
D7K_0423a.jpg


70-300 @ 280MM:
D7K_0414a.jpg


Far from tack-sharp, but better than a point-n-shoot!
 
Last edited:
VR is a worthless feature that doesn't make the tiniest difference .... unless you're right in that range of shutter speeds where it is the killer feature you wouldn't want to live without.

Also there is no relationship between ISO and shutterspeed to determine your ability to get a sharp photo. The key is focal length. 1/20th wouldn't ever get me a sharp photo on a 300mm lens regardless of how good the VR is, however I can shoot handheld without any VR at all at 1/20th and get a tack sharp photo when using only a 20mm lens.
 
Another thing that VR gives which many sometimes overlook is that even if your shutter speed is fast enough to not need the VR for countering handshake in the shot itself, it does provide a smoother view through the viewfinder. This greatly helps when handholding and tracking a subject as you can more easily follow and keep the focus where you want it without the lens shaking all over the place (of course different people will feel this effect differently of course and its far more noticeable with heavier and longer focal length lenses).
 
I'm not sure what Garbz is talking about: I have successfully shot many images in the 200mm to 400mm range using VR at sloooooow shutter speeds like 1/20 second....the subject matter cannot be moving of course, but Nikon's VR can stabilize its tele-zooms down to amazingly slow shutter speeds. The other benefit that VR has is when panning; slow speed panning done with a VR lens is soooooooooo much better than panning with a non-stabilized lens. I have enjoyed panning for many years, and the difference with a VR lens is like the difference between fetching water with a bucket, and with a tin can...there's simply, no comparison. Just as there is absolutely no comparison between a VR lens and a non-VR lens when shooting from a moving platform, like a ferry boat, fishing boat, yacht, moving tour bus, private automobile, or in the wind, or while slowly walking or creeping along, or when you are huffing and puffing and your heart is pounding...VR can be an incredible life-saver.

VR is excellent for a wide range of photography situations. If it is going to be gusty and or windy, and you are going to do some photography of windsurfers or surfers at the seashore either from shore, or from a skiff or runabout, then a VR lens is vastly preferrable to a non-VR lens on a tripod. Same aboard whale-watching vessels, or when shooting photos of salmon fishing, etc. Nikon's "Active VR" is designed to help specifically when shooting from a moving platform.
 
VR makes a difference with light telephoto lenses, with shorter lenses (<105mm) and heavy telephotos (300mm f2.8), it's less useful IMO.

That said, I see no reason why that the d700 would shoot more shaky photos then your F4--my guess is that you are just more critical due to viewing them on the computer screen instead of prints.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom