Does your spouse support your photography passion?

Yes, my wife is on-board with my photography. The thing that bothers her the most is when I'm out in the yard taking pictures of the bug while she's inside with the baby....BUT, she doesn't mind too much because I take our 3 year old with me and get him out of her hair for an hour or so.

It sounds like there are some major trust issues here......him buying parts without telling you and you checking his email without his knowledge.... If he knows you get into his email...that's one thing..but doesn't sound like the case here.

My wife and I have full access to each other's email...I went so far as to show her how to log into my photography email (which is my main email acct). We, however, are very open and have nothing to hide. Only time I check hers is usually if she asks me to for her or if she forgets to log out...same with her. Point is that she can check mine and vice-versa because we know we aren't doing things we shouldn't.

As for money, I either use christmas/birthday money for my hobby or I buy a $300 lens and she goes shopping. Tit for Tat.

As long as I let her use my backup camera when we go out she's fine :)

There are frequent "Do yooouuu neeeed another lens?" comments but that's life, I say the same about her shoes and handbags and stuffu. I would be surprised if that didn't come up once in awhile with most couples.

And to be honest if my emails got read by someone else they would swiftly find their email address deleted in punishment, not cool.

Well, my husband apologized to me yesterday about his comments. Said he didn't mean for them to sound like they did. It was just "guy talk"..It just upset me a little because it's not the camera, the lenses, or any of the equipment as much as it is MY inspiration to do something.. As many of you mentioned "This is not the place for family drama"..I'm sorry..but I had to rant to somebody! My husband and I love each other, we always work stuff out, it's not like our marriage is going to fail over one little arguement. We've been through many. I've been through a deployment and the whole 9 yards, so this is nothing.. I was just a little upset about his "guy talk" and how he blew off my hobby like it means nothing. I never talked bad yesterday after he handed the guy 25k for that new car!

Well, my husband apologized to me yesterday about his comments. Said he didn't mean for them to sound like they did. It was just "guy talk"..It just upset me a little because it's not the camera, the lenses, or any of the equipment as much as it is MY inspiration to do something.. As many of you mentioned "This is not the place for family drama"..I'm sorry..but I had to rant to somebody! My husband and I love each other, we always work stuff out, it's not like our marriage is going to fail over one little arguement. We've been through many. I've been through a deployment and the whole 9 yards, so this is nothing.. I was just a little upset about his "guy talk" and how he blew off my hobby like it means nothing. I never talked bad yesterday after he handed the guy 25k for that new car!

Your husband apologized. Did you? You are just as wrong for snooping without his knowledge as he was for talking bad without yours. I hope you were woman enough to admit that and apologize as well. If so, kudos to you...if not :grumpy:

I can't believe I read all this.
But, my girlfriend does not really care about my hobbies. ill have 5 keepers I got and am stoke about the great shoot I had today and ill go to show them to her and at the third shot she leaves and does something else. Kinda ticks me off but oh well.
OP, I'm into cars too. I have a mustang I have put thousands into. A car is not a hobby alone. 25k is for transportation. That's average. If he likes to fix it up that's the hobby part of it. It's like saying a house is a hobby."well you could live in and apartment" so you owe me 175,000 in camera equipment. See?
"breaking news!" Guys talk crap to guys. Blow it off. It's what we do! Let him do his thing and do yours. Life is short and if you don't have fun now and enjoy what you like, you might not ever get the chance to do It. least he has hobbies, my gf does not. Great Idea to get Into taking shots ot his cars. That would be a great joining to soften the blows. Guys like engines, get some engine shots. Get the curves and lines. Show him nthe resaults...
Live now... and brush off the petty crap. It can get much worse in life.

My wife is very supportive! She surprised me with the camera for Christmas, got me a lens for my birthday and the flash for father's day. I'd like to spend more on the hobby so I can take even better pics, but then I just think, it's not the equipment it's the person behind it and I just get out and take more pics trying to hone my skills even more.

this thread is ****ing hilarious.
so thanks for that...

my wife is very supportive of my passion for photography, and even likes to be involved in it. we both support each other in our passions. my marriage is perfect.

It's only because of my ex-wife that I am back into photography.

It turns out to be cheaper than the Class "A" self medicating after she left.

My wife supports my photography addiction to an extent lol, she is still quite eary at the fact i take photos of "good looking" females, but she has always supported my habit. luckily i work as a sys admin and take side "computer jobs" to support this extremely expensive hobby :)

he still drives a GTO and you have a camera. LOlZOR
to be equal you should buy a d3x with a boatload of lenses.

My wife supports my photography addiction to an extent lol, she is still quite eary at the fact i take photos of "good looking" females, but she has always supported my habit. luckily i work as a sys admin and take side "computer jobs" to support this extremely expensive hobby :)

your situation sounds like mine.

but i think she realise its not all about the woman but about creating something.

DH supports me learning more about photography. I have a monthly allowance that I can put towards what I feel is important to me. It's not a huge amount, so if I see something I want, I do need to save. I've been know to hunt craigslist, ebay, etc to get a deal on something. My DH plays hockey, it's not a cheap sport to play (especially when you live in Texas, lol). That's where his allowance goes. I don't tell him how to spend his, he doesn't tell me how to spend mine. He supports me in my hobby as well, for christmas he got me a new camera bag, filters for my lenses, a tripod. He wanted to get me a new lens but he said he stood in the camera store and felt lost and overwhelmed. lmao

As for reading his emails: I don't do it. If there is something in his inbox that he thinks I should read, I have him forward it to me. Same goes for my email. Not that I have anything to hide, he could just pick up my phone and read them if he really wanted, he'd be bored to death... kids dance stuff, kids band stuff, girl night out information, birthday party invites, photography related emails.

Most reactions

Back