DOF question

artcardprinter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am sure that 1 of the many TPF pros will be able to answer this... what DOF AV setting do I use to achieve Infinity Focus with my canon eos rebel xsi? And what is your opinion on Black backdrop as opposed to White? Thanking in advance, Pat.:D

I'll move this out of the digital section, as it has nothing to do with digital ;)

The Depth of Field is a result of the physics of the set up...the size of the aperture, the focal length of the lens, the distance to the focus point/plane.

Infinity focus is just the farthest focus setting on the lens. When set to infinity, anything past a certain distance will be in focus.

I'd suggest reading up on Hyperfocal Distance.
Hyperfocal Distance
Hyperfocal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And what is your opinion on Black backdrop as opposed to White?
Either one is OK, although some will say that they have both been 'done to death' and are thus not very creative.

...what is your opinion on Black backdrop as opposed to White?

Both are useful. A good place to start is to "key" your subject with the background. If you have a subject that is primarily deep, dark tones... shoot on black. (Low key)

Or when you have a subject that is mostly white or very light tones... shoot on white. (High key)

This doesn't mean that a subject that is "out of key" with the background will not be successful. But this is a good place to start.

-Pete

And what is your opinion on Black backdrop as opposed to White? Thanking in advance, Pat.:D
I couldn't decide, so I use middle gray.

With the right exposure and lighting, I can make it either black, or white. With gels on the lights, I can make it just about any color I want.

Last edited:
And what is your opinion on Black backdrop as opposed to White? Thanking in advance, Pat.:D

With the right exposureand lighting, I can make it either black, or white. With gels on the lights, I can make it just about any color I want.

this

With the right exposureand lighting, I can make it either black, or white. With gels on the lights, I can make it just about any color I want.

Ahh yes, reminds me of a strobist video I recently saw. He uses the middle gray as well, for the same reason.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back