DOF Trouble

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm having trouble getting a good shallow dof. Even if I shoot everything at f/2.8 it's crystal clear :irked: Does this just mean that I'm too far away?

I've tried zooming in on the objects too, no difference. Sometimes I get lucky, but it seems like I have to be within 5-10 feet of what I'm shooting for it to work? Any tips?

Is this with your Panasonic Digi-cam?

It's hard to get a shallow DOF with these cameras because the sensor is so small.

Get close to your subject and if you want the background to be blurry...try to keep the background far away from the subject.

Once you focus on something that is 5-10 feet away...you may be at infinity focus...which would mean that everything past your subject will be in focus....so get closer to the subject.

This is with my Panasonic. Thanks Mike.

Getting closer is what I was afraid of. It's so easy to lose the story behind the picture when you have to get that close. I'll just keep practicing.

Thanks Hobbes. I did try that with a few shots, but I think I was still too far away from the subject?

Is it possible that my focus point is too wide?

If you want less depth of field with a given focal length you need to focus closer to the minimum distance. This is one of the limitations of a point-and-shoot type of camera, so your best bet is to shoot as close as it will focus with the zoom all the way out. You might be just a couple of feet from your subject. For less DOF at a greater distance you need an SLR.

Dave

Most reactions

Back