Doh Shaped

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so our local ISP has changed their billing system, over charged us, shaped us twice even though we haven't reached our cap, and this month imposed the usual 10gb cap even though because of their changes to billing the period is 5 weeks and not 1 month.

I am glad to say that after 10 years of putting up with Telstra's **** we have given them their 30 days termination of service notice, and not just internet but our telephone line as well :)

In one month I will have an internet connection which is close to 3 times as fast, offers 10 more emails than the current one, and has 15 times down download limit, and after the 150gb limit is broken we get shaped to twice the speed, and all for the same price. :D:D:D

We have one of the slowest and most expensive broadband in the world in the UK

I'll put money on it that it's not as slow or expensive as what we pay in Saudi. My current plan offers 6Gb download at 512 Kbps spread over 3-months for the grand total of £133.00.

Congratz Garbz! Sounds like Telstra did you a big favor. Have fun with it :D

We are very fortunate to have no limit access cable broadband at 1,500 Kbps speeds here in southern Indiana for about $45 a month. OTOH, I spend much to much time on the net. Maybe if it cost more, I would get more real work accomplished, nah...........

Ummm. Most Australians would kill to have US internet services. Most American exchange students I know through uni just plain and simply want to go home because of it. After all Australia was the first company to introduce the idea of imposing a "fair usage" system courtesy of our monopoly provider (the government) and it's baby the ISP which has been done in by the ACCC numerous times now for charging it's own customers $59/month for 10gb of access but it's wholesale customers $69 LOL. The "fair usage" basically means you have a limit but we won't tell you what it is and we'll just kill your service if you go over it". This was the birth of broadband caps :S

Telstra went from an open service to fair usage to 3gb cap, to uncapped, and to 10gb, and changed their pricing structure many times over the past few years in endless efforts to screw their customers a little more. But hey what's new. It's a pity that it has taken us this long to get ADSL2 at our local exchange or we would have jumped ship long ago.

You going to TPG garbz?

I was thinking of heading over that way....

Ummm. Most Australians would kill to have US internet services. Most American exchange students I know through uni just plain and simply want to go home because of it. After all Australia was the first company to introduce the idea of imposing a "fair usage" system courtesy of our monopoly provider (the government) and it's baby the ISP which has been done in by the ACCC numerous times now for charging it's own customers $59/month for 10gb of access but it's wholesale customers $69 LOL. The "fair usage" basically means you have a limit but we won't tell you what it is and we'll just kill your service if you go over it". This was the birth of broadband caps :S

Telstra went from an open service to fair usage to 3gb cap, to uncapped, and to 10gb, and changed their pricing structure many times over the past few years in endless efforts to screw their customers a little more. But hey what's new. It's a pity that it has taken us this long to get ADSL2 at our local exchange or we would have jumped ship long ago.

Ok, you win

Check this out:
Japan, which at first concentrated on developing broadband over the long term by concentrating on expanding optical fiber networks, has been catching up since changing its approach to include more use of broadband over old-fashioned copper-wire telephone lines.
The result is that Japan now offers download speeds of 26,000 kilobits per second, compared to 50 kilobits per second over a standard dial-up modem.
A Japanese user can download an entire movie over the Internet in 20 minutes. South Korea is almost as fast--26 minutes.

... and that article is 4 years old

Gah, what is it about the UK/USA/Aus/everyone besides Japan and South Korea, that we don't have these speeds yet?

Well in our case it was due to a government granted monopoly. The extorting prices Telstra was able to charge meant that there was no incentive to upgrade their network or start rolling out fibre. Things are slowly changing when last year in our country the ACCC (basically the guys who keeps the monopolies from going too far) ruled that other ISPs were allowed to install their own DSLAMs into Telstra's exchanges thus not needing to pay telstra to use their inferior ones.

For those of us who can get it (I am fortunate to be 300m away from an ADSL2+ (through TPG or iiNet) enabled exchange) we can actually get 25Mbps.

Anyway the move is on hold for a little while. Telstra called back in shock yesterday and said they will offer us a $360 credit to our account to stay. I agree it would be stupid to just surrender that money so after a half an hour discussion the household agreed that we will stay with Telstra until the credit expires, BUT on their most expensive plan. 17Mbps for 60GB it is for the next 2 months :) I don't see why anyone would pay $130 for that under normal circumstances.

Most reactions

Back