NGH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.carrotroom.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this a while ago and I really like it but interested on comments about the composition - how affected is it by the fact the tail is not in shot?

Dolphin-6565.jpg

I like it as is and would not have thought about the tail if you had not asked the question.

Looks good to me! Being close up to something that big it can't always be helped so good job with what you could capture. What lens were you using for that? I would suggest a wider lens for pics like that in the future.

Reactions: NGH
I like it. It's a pretty dynamic shot but with the detail in the water splashes it has enough to keep my attention. I think that if anything it could afford to loose a little off the top, something like a 16:10 or another panoramic format may sit well with the movement. I don't think having the tail in the shot would really add anything more as it's likely to be underwater and a lot of the interest is in the detail of the dolphin breaking the surface.

I find it to be too dark.
I do like how the splash was captured.
Personally I would have liked it better if the dolphin had been caught leaving the water.

Looks good to me! Being close up to something that big it can't always be helped so good job with what you could capture. What lens were you using for that? I would suggest a wider lens for pics like that in the future.

Thanks
I was using a Canon 75-300 at its widest at that moment. Yes wider lens would have got more but I think I was planning for more distant subjects and getting this come as close as it was changing lens could have meant I missed it.

Personally I would have liked it better if the dolphin had been caught leaving the water.

Yes you are probably right; the histogram is pretty much all down in the low end apart from some highlights. I haven't edited this at all so I could definitely improve the exposure.

I shot this on the same day - it has more dolphin in it but I think it is less dynamic.

Dolphin-6561.jpg

I like it. It's a pretty dynamic shot but with the detail in the water splashes it has enough to keep my attention. I think that if anything it could afford to loose a little off the top, something like a 16:10 or another panoramic format may sit well with the movement. I don't think having the tail in the shot would really add anything more as it's likely to be underwater and a lot of the interest is in the detail of the dolphin breaking the surface.

Yes maybe a creative crop would improve it, I will have a play. Thanks

I got these two where it was leaving the water; the first is an awkward angle and I just don't like it, the second is not as close as the one above

Dolphin-6419.jpg

Dolphin-6390.jpg

Thanks
I was using a Canon 75-300 at its widest at that moment. Yes wider lens would have got more but I think I was planning for more distant subjects and getting this come as close as it was changing lens could have meant I missed it.

I totally understand and agree, that's happened to me more than once, welcome to the club. :trink39:

Nigel, I think your instincts are good, the first shot has a great dynamic to it, the feel of motion, while hanging on to the clarity is very nice. I would be inclined to lighten it just a bit but that's probably more personal taste. Nice set, but the first is the winner in my book. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back