Donating 1970's Film cameras to non-profit organization?

cfcboc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a retired aficionado of 1970's era film cameras. I have a collection of Nikons, Nikormats,Olympus Pen, Pentax and other SLR 35 mm cameras, lenses and accessories, as will as a couple Twin Lens Reflexes and larger format 6x7 cameras and accessories. All in great condition.

I am trying to find an organization that would accept donations of such camera items, e.g. youth clubs, schools/colleges, or any non-profit associations like Lion's clubs. I would prefer not to donate simply to a Goodwill or similar national groups that simply resell donated items. Would prefer to see these cameras given to some group that can use/appreciate or learn from this equipment.

Welcome any recommendations from forum members.

[Also posting this to the general forum]

I am a retired aficionado of 1970's era film cameras. I have a collection of Nikons, Nikormats,Olympus Pen, Pentax and other SLR 35 mm cameras, lenses and accessories, as will as a couple Twin Lens Reflexes and larger format 6x7 cameras and accessories. All in great condition.

I am trying to find an organization that would accept donations of such camera items, e.g. youth clubs, schools/colleges, or any non-profit associations like Lion's clubs. I would prefer not to donate simply to a Goodwill or similar national groups that simply resell donated items. Would prefer to see these cameras given to some group that can use/appreciate or learn from this equipment.

Welcome any recommendations from forum members.

[Also posting this to the general forum]

Seriously, this is a good place to do so. That's how I got started, not by someone giving me one but by reading all the posts in the film section here. It got me real interested and now I shoot film quite often. There are probably a few people on here that would like to get into film photography but can't afford the cost of the hardware. I have given a couple away and received a couple. I have more to give away but just finding the time to do so. There are some generous people that post here and given away thousands worth of film gear. I just gave away a $300 valued film camera to someone who will use it, I just didn't make it public this time out because I knew their desire for one.

If you don't want the bother of all that, I assume you may investigate your local colleges to see if they have film photography courses. However, at least here, you know they will go to good use.

I feel like your best bet would be an Art Institute that has a photography program. The kids would be able to check them out from the school to use for classes or for fun

Both of the above... I'd try high schools, colleges, tech/vocational schools, community art centers, etc. It might take contacting a number of places to find out if they can use the equipment.

Your description made me drool on my keyboard at the thought, so it's probably a matter of finding a place that teaches photography and would love to have all that equipment.

If you get no takers for donated film equipment, I'd consider selling it and donating the proceeds to a favorite charity or two. You might find your collection is worth several hundreds of dollars and you could use that money to fund a group of aspiring photographers if you like.

I mention this because I donated a complete darkroom setup for 35mm, MF and LF equipment to my local high school only to find that 4 years later, they threw it all out!

Thank you for the suggestion of donating to an interested beginner. I may well do a few pieces like that if I can sort out the ones in need versus getting something free and reselling. Also as a retired pensioner, the ability to get some tax deduction credit for a donation to a non-profit would be awfully handy at tax time!

A local high school or community college that still teaches photography.

Thanks, tried that. Area high schools and local community colleges only interested in digital equipment, noting that their push is with graphic arts and digital photo-editing.

If you get no takers for donated film equipment, I'd consider selling it and donating the proceeds to a favorite charity or two. You might find your collection is worth several hundreds of dollars and you could use that money to fund a group of aspiring photographers if you like.

I mention this because I donated a complete darkroom setup for 35mm, MF and LF equipment to my local high school only to find that 4 years later, they threw it all out!

Yes, I also fear that a donation would be accepted but later discarded and it seems a waste of some very fine camera equipment and optics.

Selling the equipment and donating the proceeds is an interesting idea, but I have very limited experience selling online and at times the process of listing and selling proved very time consuming.

I know my sister donated a lot of our old film cameras (and a good part of my darkroom equipment) to a local college film program.

Here's a thought - my local camera store has a section of used equipment. they take it in on consignment and charge (I think) 20% as a fee. I've found some interesting equipment there, some nice glass, and some oddball accessories. My store would help you with pricing as well. It may take a while to sell things, and it's piecemeal, but it's also painless - except for the part about letting your cherished equipment go!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back