Donating Nikon 55-200 f4-5.6G

MartinCrabtree

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well the lens showed up today so here's the one it's replacing. Tell me why you want/need it and if your story is my favorite it's yours. USA residents only and shipped to lower 48 free. AK/HI contact me and we'll work that out.

About the lens. It's in great shape,no marks,scratches just some dust. Includes hood and both caps. Here's some images.

9a484635-5889-4610-9c0d-2a0ba28d51a6_zpsd0c3cd4e.jpg

c9247ab1-0643-4253-957c-faafb0ca0e31_zpsd7fb29d0.jpg

This would be amazing for my Nikon N2000 on Manual foucus or my Nikon D5100 also my other film Nikon's. I am 19 and just graduated highschool and now looking to take some classes in photography. I develop my own black and white film and I also shoot 4x5.

I would like to be a part of this if possible. I shoot with a newly acquired D5100 and have been putting all of my free time into photography, I shoot all types of styles but mainly auto and nature, I only have the 18-55mm lens and have been looking to get a new lens but funds are quite low. I would love to add this to my package of equipment and appreciate your consideration. Like I said in the last thread like this, regardless of who gets this, I appreciate what youre doing for other enthusiasts. Very generous of you.

This would be perfect for me to really be able to explore photography with portraits/people. I just now have had the time to really start to work with people and my photography and I'm hooked! I will be starting photography classes at the local community college while I finish my senior year of high school, (this year!). As of right now I have a D3100 wit the kit lens, 18-55mm. Thanks for doing something like this! It's awesome to help other people get that photography 'bug' :)
-Monica

Last edited:
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, a humble Vulcan stumbled upon the art of photography. Emotionless, logically, he pursued the art, until he realized he began to fall in love. He began to doubt himself, and wonder how he could gather such emotions for a hobby!

At first he rejected the idea, but on the advice of a human named Ansel Adams and the friendship and comradarie of Puff the Magic Dragon in a battle against the borg collective, Darth Vader, and Ganandorf, he came to the conclusion that although emotions were illogical, they weren't a such bad thing.

The Vulcan embraced his love for photography, and with a rekindled spirit and heart for the art, purchased lenses and equipment from all across the universe, from Klingon to Tatooine. As he began to outgrow his older equipment, he decided to donate some of it, to help out budding photographers. One such photographer was a man named Daryll Morgan, whose TPF username was DGMPhotography. He donated to Daryll a wonderful lens, and the two lived happily ever after.

I hope you enjoyed this story, and I hope you consider me for donation. I shoot with a Nikon D5100 and am very excited to expand my lens collection. I love taking people, event/performance and landscape shots. With a lens that can zoom up to 200mm I would be able to take much better shots of the moon, and when doing events, not suffer so much if I got a seat in the back.

Thanks for your consideration!

(If anything, this was still a better love story than Twilight).

Last edited:
Alright this is awkward for me as this use to be my lens haha, but silly me didn't secure my other option as they changed their mind on the 70-300 leaving me stuck with just the 18-55 kit lens. So throw my name in the hat if you will. I have a D5000

If granted this lens, I will pay it forward to Canon users with 2 lenses.

I shoot with a d3100 (for now) and would love this lens for a portrait/model shoot I have coming up.
either way this is awesome of you

I would also like to let you know that I could really use this lens as I have only the Kit lens and a 35 ffl lens. Thanks

This sounds like a weird puppet show to me .... or something kids would do, not something that adults would do for their own personal amusement or whatever you get from it, referring to "tell me a story and the best story wins" instead of the fairest way of everyone just putting their names into a hat & picking the winner .... don't get me wrong I love the idea of giving & paying it forward but not the hoops & garters part that one needs to jump through and over. I'm sure some will give me **** for my opinion which is ok too!

This sounds like a weird puppet show to me .... or something kids would do, not something that adults would do for their own personal amusement or whatever you get from it, referring to "tell me a story and the best story wins" instead of the fairest way of everyone just putting their names into a hat & picking the winner .... don't get me wrong I love the idea of giving & paying it forward but not the hoops & garters part that one needs to jump through and over. I'm sure some will give me **** for my opinion which is ok too!

well, everyone has to decide on what they feel is the best way to donate something. 480sparky assigned everyone a number and used a random number generator on his computer to pick a winner. But, is that really the fairest way? is donating a macro lens to someone who has $10k in gear but no macro lens over someone with $500 in gear fair because their number got picked? im not saying picking a name out of a hat isnt a perfectly reasonable option. It certainly takes any personal feelings out of the equation. In the end though, someone is giving something away for the benefit of a fellow forum member. I don't see a "wrong" way to donate something. Me and the wife ask for an honest gear list and what the person hopes to accomplish by getting the equipment. And we take people at their word. not so different than what is being done here i think, just not quite worded the same. We factor a lot of things into our donations. While this DOES inject some elements of personal feelings towards the applicants, we feel it is a very personal process, and therefor we take our feelings on the applicants, their gear list, and what they want to do with it into consideration. thus far, I have not seen any issues concerning anyone who has donated gear here (and there have been a few) so despite whatever peoples personal feelings are concerning who has gotten what gear, only positive responses have been posted so far.
I think this shows that the forum as a whole can just appreciate the fact that there are people willing to help out others, and no matter who gets what, helping someone is the end result. When public opinion on this changes to something more spiteful, we will stop donating stuff.

personally, I don't really think it matters how many hoops the OP wants to make someone jump through. its not like anyone has to do anything if they don't want to.
anyone that is not comfortable with the rules of the donation are very much able to simply not participate.

Well I'll be sure to remove your name from the hat Richard Cranium. It's the way I got the lens that's replacing the one I'm giving away. Worked for me..................

Pixmedic I get your point & get where your coming from and agree mostly but this story writing requirement was a bit difficult to wrap my head around. I do realize it's the op's decision to handle it anyway he wants but as I said this just seemed very childish to me.

Martin don't be perturbed, I'm probably the only man who sees it this way. Their is also no need to remove my name for I didn't write any story for your review :)

Pixmedic I get your point & get where your coming from and agree mostly but this story writing requirement was a bit difficult to wrap my head around. I do realize it's the op's decision to handle it anyway he wants but as I said this just seemed very childish to me.

Martin don't be perturbed, I'm probably the only man who sees it this way. Their is also no need to remove my name for I didn't write any story for your review :)

I don't think he meant literal storytelling. I just took it that way to be amusing, and perhaps a bit creative in my attempt to win this lens.

Either way, Martin's kind enough to donate his lens, and I don't think criticizing the way he does it is necessary.

Then again, to each his own.

I don't think he meant literal storytelling. I just took it that way to be amusing, and perhaps a bit creative in my attempt to win this lens.
Either way, Martin's kind enough to donate his lens, and I don't think criticizing the way he does it is necessary.
Then again, to each his own.
I didn't think he meant literal story telling either !! After reading the first line of yours it was obvious you were attempting humor. I may be opinionated but I'm surely not stupid. With that being said though you understood he wanted a story, you just took the humor route, rather than the student or pity or etc., etc., etc..... Let's not make Martin a martyr here saying I can't criticize the way he's doing it. Seems like the only reason this lens is being given away is because he received it's upgrade and promised to give it away if he won it. So let's keep everything in it's proper perspective. Lastly you stated to each his own ... 100% correct!

Most reactions

Back