I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am officially calling my closet a T.A.R.D.I.S now...apparently the Doctor doesn't have the last one after all.

As previously mentioned HERE, this is the first of the Canon FD lenses I dug up to be donated.
it is a EX+ condition Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 lens with built in metal pull out lens hood. everything on it works perfect. glass is minty. (maybe the tiniest bit of internal dust)

Not really much else to say. If you can get over the fact that it is a manual focus lens, and that you will have to use an adapter to mount it on a modern DSLR (with or without the infinity focus insert) then this is a fantastic lens to add to your collection of primes. Not exactly a lightning fast f/2.8, but the price is right. (its free, if you weren't already aware)

Yes, you heard right. FREE to a good home. as usual, we will cover shipping costs. (ConUS and Alaska ONLY as covered by USPS flat rate shipping)
If you are stationed overseas somewhere, APO ships just like a US address, and does not cost any extra so APO's are fine too.
If you are interested in this lens, post in this thread with a gear list (cameras and lenses) and how you feel you would benefit from receiving it.
if you do NOT already have a FD-ES adapter, it will NOT disqualify you from the donation. just be aware that one WILL be needed unless you have an older camera with a Canon FD mount. (we will NOT be providing one with the lens, your on your own for that one, sorry)
Persons that do not post in this thread or do not satisfy donation requirements will not be considered.
(in exchange for free stuff and shipped on our dime, all I am asking is an honest gear list and for you to put just a little thought into why you feel you need the lens. Not looking for a whole dissertation, just a little something to show you have given some thought into getting this focal length/manual lens/whatever as apposed to just asking for it because its free)

Me and the wife reserve the right to change the conditions of and/or cancel the donation at any time for any dumb old reason.

I will let this thread run for a week (less if interest is really low)

looking forward to someone giving this lens a new home and new life.

-Jason

View attachment 52264 View attachment 52265
View attachment 52266 View attachment 52267

I'm interested. I currently have a canon t3i with a grip, a 28-135mm and a 70-250 kit lens. A prime lens would fit well into my gear and this would be faster glass than I have. I also think that manual focus would improve my skills.

I have had a canon ti body with no lenses sitting around for a while now and havent been able to shoot anything with this so it would be great to have this lens

I owned and used this same Vivtar 200mm f/3.5 in Nikon mount for a good part of my early college photojournalism career! Brings back memories to see one of these puppies! I always kinda laughed at the very short, built-in sliding lens hood...I used to take a blue "asparagus bunch" rubber band, the kind they wrap, well, asparagus bunches with in the produce section of the grocery store, and place it right behind the extended lens shade...the lens would rest on the extended shade, and I could just drop the lens back into its compartment in ye old Tamrac gadget back front-elemtn down, with no lens cap on. It came with a terrible slip-on metal cap, as I recall...got lost pretty soon after I bought it. This lens was like $79.99 back in 1982 or 83.

This would be great to replace my 55-250mm lens I had to sell to save for college, would be really nice to have a long lens again instead of just the kit 18-55.

Edit: my body is a baby EOS XS :(

Last edited:
I owned and used this same Vivtar 200mm f/3.5 in Nikon mount for a good part of my early college photojournalism career! Brings back memories to see one of these puppies! I always kinda laughed at the very short, built-in sliding lens hood...I used to take a blue "asparagus bunch" rubber band, the kind they wrap, well, asparagus bunches with in the produce section of the grocery store, and place it right behind the extended lens shade...the lens would rest on the extended shade, and I could just drop the lens back into its compartment in ye old Tamrac gadget back front-elemtn down, with no lens cap on. It came with a terrible slip-on metal cap, as I recall...got lost pretty soon after I bought it. This lens was like $79.99 back in 1982 or 83.

That is a pretty cool story Derrel. It did in fact come with a metal lens cap that just would not stay on very well. No idea where it is now . Several moves has no doubt seen it to the void. The built in lens hood IS a tad short, but theres not much to be done about it. It works OK i guess. A zip tie actually keeps that hood "up" pretty well too. $80 doesn't sound too bad for 1980's dollars.

Monday bump!
6 hours of consecutive sleep last night on shift. SIX! amazing.

I would love a FD lens for my lineup.
I've had more manual focus film cameras than I've had autofocus cameras (Barring my profile picture of a t2i, which I don't own), and currently the only lenses I possess are manual focus. Build quality just simply doesn't compare for me.

BIZUMP!

not much new interest in this so...gonna wrap it up before the weekend.

Nothing new here so...
Last bump while im on shift.
I'll try and wrap this up today or tomorrow and hopefully shipped friday.

Going to give Ronlane this lens.
he has a gear set just begging for some primes, and his photography skills are good so I have no doubt he will adapt well to this lens.
We are looking forward to seeing some pictures from it!
PM and address and i will try to get it shipped out tomorrow USPS priority mail.

Gratz Ronlane!

lens is in the mail. USPS priority mail.
USPS guesstimate ETA is Saturday 8/17
i will PM you the tracking number Ron.
Gratz!

Would it be wrong to go home tomorrow evening and sit on the mailbox until the postman comes bearing this gracious gift?

Most reactions

Back