What's new

Doncaster from the Rooftops

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
2,591
Reaction score
375
Location
Barnsley, Oop-Nooerth, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in Doncaster today catching a train to London, and coming back this evening. On the way back to my car, which was on the top of the new shopping centre, I saw that the Cathedral was lit up, so I took a couple of shots.

I left the WB as it was, as the colour is pretty true to how it was...

I know the bottom is cut off, but there was another dark rooftop there...I don't think I could have got another vantage point to get the bottom in the frame. I don't think it matters so much, anyway, as it's the towers and windows that grabbed me...

What do you think?


Doncaster Cathedral by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
 
I like it, and I agree that the bottom of the building isn't relevant to the shot.
The bright signs or lights at the bottom left are distracting me though, did you try cropping it a bit closer to the cathedral?
 
Yes, better!
Can you darken that bright white structure that is behind & to the left of the cathedral a bit more?

I really do like this image, with or without the edits, by the way :)
 
Yes, better!
Can you darken that bright white structure that is behind & to the left of the cathedral a bit more?

I really do like this image, with or without the edits, by the way :)

Thanks.

I tried, but didn't get it right. I will try again, a few more things to try...I know what you mean, it is distracting. Watch this space. :)
 
qpjl1g.jpg


I tried to make it less red. Like the shot a lot though !
 
qpjl1g.jpg


I tried to make it less red. Like the shot a lot though !

I think that it is ok to change images, that to make things look different to reality...that has always been done since the camera was invented.
In this instance, it was the colour of the building and the colour of the sky that attracted me in the first place. It was WHY I took the picture. It is WHY I didn't "correct" it in PP.

I (and quite a few others) like the cast given by the streetlights of the city on the grand structure of the cathedral. It is what we see...

Thanks for the effort, however, Tevo...:)
 
Bend The Light said:
I think that it is ok to change images, that to make things look different to reality...that has always been done since the camera was invented.
In this instance, it was the colour of the building and the colour of the sky that attracted me in the first place. It was WHY I took the picture. It is WHY I didn't "correct" it in PP.

I (and quite a few others) like the cast given by the streetlights of the city on the grand structure of the cathedral. It is what we see...

Thanks for the effort, however, Tevo...:)

Oh it looked like that originally?! Agh my bad! Whenever I shoot shots at night they always turn out extremely red, I thought that just naturally happened so I corrected it. I see it in a completely different light now. :O
 
Bend The Light said:
I think that it is ok to change images, that to make things look different to reality...that has always been done since the camera was invented.
In this instance, it was the colour of the building and the colour of the sky that attracted me in the first place. It was WHY I took the picture. It is WHY I didn't "correct" it in PP.

I (and quite a few others) like the cast given by the streetlights of the city on the grand structure of the cathedral. It is what we see...

Thanks for the effort, however, Tevo...:)

Oh it looked like that originally?! Agh my bad! Whenever I shoot shots at night they always turn out extremely red, I thought that just naturally happened so I corrected it. I see it in a completely different light now. :O

No worries. Sometimes we want things as they are...:)
 
Bend The Light said:
I think that it is ok to change images, that to make things look different to reality...that has always been done since the camera was invented.
In this instance, it was the colour of the building and the colour of the sky that attracted me in the first place. It was WHY I took the picture. It is WHY I didn't "correct" it in PP.

I (and quite a few others) like the cast given by the streetlights of the city on the grand structure of the cathedral. It is what we see...

Thanks for the effort, however, Tevo...:)

Oh it looked like that originally?! Agh my bad! Whenever I shoot shots at night they always turn out extremely red, I thought that just naturally happened so I corrected it. I see it in a completely different light now. :O

No worries. Sometimes we want things as they are...:)

4nsow.jpg


2ymubzm.jpg


These 2 came out extremely red, for no apparent reason other than it was at night - which is why I felt the need to correct it, because this happens with all my night shots. Would that make WB the culprit?


These were both taken around 2-3 am, and I apologize for them being sideways, to lazy to rotate and reupload, :P
 
I think it's light pollution from the street-lights, but if that's what you want to capture, then that's what it is.
It's like taking a sunset, I think. If you "correct" white balance, all the oranges and reds disappear...then there's no sunset.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom