Done with AVG

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tired of AVG. What's other good anti-virus programs that don't want to control everything for you? You know, virus scanner should scan for virii. I don't give a crap about the bells and whistles.

Tired of AVG. What's other good anti-virus programs that don't want to control everything for you? You know, virus scanner should scan for virii. I don't give a crap about the bells and whistles.

Kaspersky Anti-virus

This programs comes highly reccomended by two of my friends who IT Directors at larger companies.

p!nK

I used F-Secure for a long time. I liked it.

I use AVG now - no real reason ... I think it was a few bucks cheaper.

EDIT
F-Secure is similar to AVG in the way it monitors pretty much everything you do, but you can turn that off (I think), and once you create a rule for the specific program, it never asks you again.

I know of one, called OSX. Lol

I run malwarebytes anti malware. It's all I use. It doesn't eat up resources, because it isn't an active scanner.

aaaah I will check that out. That sounds EXACTLY like what I'm looking for!

Thanks all.

ClamWin. It's not an active scanner, just when you tell it to. It's also pretty much a consumer-targeted port of UNIX/BSD/Linux's ClamAV, which is an enterprise-grade virus scanner. Usually used on the main mail servers for large companies.

Free Antivirus for Windows - Open source GPL virus scanner

Oh, and since it's open source, it's free. I haven't used it because I have used 90% linux for several years now, but ClamAV is rock solid so this should be too.

I know of one, called OSX. Lol

I guess people just assume that there's nothing worth stealing on a Mac.

:lmao:
Since OSX is BSD-based (unix-clone), it takes a completely different design direction from Windows. It's not only much harder to successfully install malware onto a computer running OSX, most consumers still run Windows anyway. A virus is way more successful if it can target and infect more computers. Apple's status as a minority in the PC world has saved it some. I imagine if it gains a significant market share, people would start to target it.

Last edited:
I had that on my computer when i had Windows Vista.... god i hated that thing. Then when i got Windows 7 and had to reinstall everything i didn't bother reinstalling that *****.

I personally don't mind Mac, but prefer PC as its what i've used for basically my whole life. There's just a few things about Mac i don't like though.

Windows is the bomb.

If you're going to go with just a firewall at least get ZoneAlarm :) Freeware edition works very well. For what its worth I also run freeware version of AVG and not had any problems nor noticed that its trying to control me - heck even if it was one can just turn off the auto settings.

AVG is fine as long as you don't ever get a virus. If you ever need it, it's worth about what you pay for it (free).

I did get a pretty good virus about 6 months ago and AVG was worthless. I spent a rainy Sunday reading the reviews of every antivirus/antispyware software out there. I wanted one that would find virii without bringing my system to its knees while it did its scans.

I ended up with Vipre from Sunbelt Software. Bought it mainly because you can get an unlimited home licence. I've got a half dozen computers or so, and it's nice to be able to install it everywhere.

Scans on a reasonably-well-loaded machine take about an hour. (AVG was taking 5-6 hours.) And the best part was it found and cleaned that virus that made me rethink AVG, as well as a ton of less-malicious virii and spyware that I hadn't realized AVG had missed.

Part of the "this virus scanner is good and this one is bad" is I think linked more to the fact that there are so many viruses on the net and that not every scanner gets them all. I've read many experiences where people say such and such a scanner is pointless because it failed to get viruses that their new scanner did catch. However they fail to test to see if the new scanner is missing viruses that the old one did catch ;)

Also AVG comes in both a freeware and paid for editions - they actually tried to go full paid and got a rather substancial backlash and so reinstated their paid for services. Far as I know the virus scanning aspects of both are the same, but the paid for comes with more malware and other nice extras.

Most reactions

Back