Donne Darko

jstuedle said:
I have not seen the movie, and don't know anything about it. But, the jet engine was invented in England by a chap named Sir. Frank Whittle. The "Whittle" design was licensed in the states to General Electric who had turbo-charger manufacturing experience during WWII. GE & Pratt & Whitney are the two manufactures of large jet engines in the U.S. Does any of this help explain Frank?

Not really...frank was his "Friend" who was at first I giant demonic bunny, but then you see the real frank

Frank appears later in the film but doesnt know donnie, and...donnie..then...does...something...

jstuedle said:
Sorry for the history lesson.

Actually, it was brilliant...didnt mean it in a bad way...I really love those interesting facts and I think it did help.
Got anymore then please go on buddy, I honestly didnt mean my previous post as being nasty...

I no way did I take it as the least bit basty. Just thought I knew something, I usally find I know less than I thought.

That's an awesome movie, if you like weird cult films it's definately the one to see. I think it's a pure masterpeice - the whole way it ws put together, but I'm screwed if I can understand it.
The biggest thing that bugs me is what was Drew Barrymore and that other teacher talking about Donnie? I reckon that's a pretty important bit but I can't figure it out. I'm gonna watch the directors cut at somestage. First time I watched Donnie Darko, i was completely drunk so that didn't really help me understanding it, but it sure did get me freaked out about planes.

Artemis said:
Im still no closer to understanding...I mean...I know where the jet engine came from...but who the hell was frank? just some random person?

It's one of those 'end is at the start of the movie and the start of the story is at the end ' kinda deals.

Arty, re. your question above : At the start of the movie, Donnie's sister comes home and looks like she's giddy and happy, like a girl who's just spent the evening with someone she really likes .....

For those of you who havent seen it and want to see it, I wont go into all the details here and give things away. If you want to know whats going on read this :

http://www.anthroid.net/autopsiadonniedarko.htm

If ya have a few more questions :

http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net/ddfaq.htm

Good movie. One of those multi-levelled flicks that make ya wanna go back and watch it again, to pick up more things you missed the first time around.:thumbup:

Happy readin Arty ;)

I own both the theartical cut and the director's cut of Donnie Darko...both kick much ass. It does fall into the backwards movie catagory like "Memento". It also is very similar to "Final Destination" in theme but only much deeper. Amazingly it was done on a shoe string budget but got such a cult following the director was funded to redo some of the cgi and pacing thus the director's cut. It made me really respect Jake Gillenhal's(sp?) acting. Plus his performance in "Bubble Boy" was Oscar worthy. If you haven't seen it and like odd mindful films go get it- you'll want ot watch it twice to figure out what's going on- watch it with director's comentary, IT HELP's...but if you are into simple slapstick light movies..."Bubble Boy" might be a better choice which BTW I also own on dvd. :lol:

Arty...you are right in saying the Donnie Darko hype and fanbase is much much larger there than in the US. Also PM me any specific questions about it so we don't spoil it for the rest of the gang.

I thought it was a great movie, up until the last five minutes. I had an LT look at it and he seems to be in with the majority and thought it was a fantastic film. We had a big discussion on Donny, the old lady, and of course Frank. We finally agreed to disagree.

Thanks for the links, finally I'll be able to understand this... amazing movie. I have discussed it several times with my friends, but never came to a conclusion about some of the events.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back