Don't want them to squirm

Wow,

First of all, thank you to everyone that responded. I am a little overwhelmed now. I am not a professional....and no, I am not getting paid a penny. I just wanted to see if I could interact with strangers and children and "see" the shot as I pose them. I am pretty good on auto...so I know I will be even better if I feel this goes well. Thank you to those who were kind. (and to those who are not, I can take that too!) I have NEVER taken money and I feel I am about a year away from doing so. This is my passion, but it does not qualify me as a professional.
If you are interested to see my pics that I feel show that I could possibly pursue this as a career, please go to:

www.candidshotphotography.blogspot.com

I will respond to individual posts in a bit.

So you don't find this ridiculous at all?

Almost every post of yours I've read so far has come across as arrogant, condescending and immature. You seem to have a habit of getting wound up and jumping the gun, bashing people and getting frustrated.

Please calm down, and try to be constructive. Or at the very least, don't draw conclusions from missing information.

The OP didn't mention anything about being paid; he/she asked about how to interact with a subject. That, as well as getting composition right — neither of which rely on the camera in the slightest — both trump ditching Auto mode in this case, and possibly in all cases. It doesn't matter to me how well-exposed and technical a shot is — if it isn't captivating and interesting from a compositional standpoint, it's a failure. Auto mode will let you concentrate on these aspects in an environment you're entirely unfamiliar with, without ending up with piss-poor shots because you were trying to juggle and run at the same time.

I wish you luck, kingskid. Please show us your results when you're done :)

hmm I am no human photographer, but one thing strikes me from that website. I don't know if its your shots or the black background, but a lot of them look darker than they should. (it won't be my moniter - LCD so everything is enhanced brightness)
That is the first thing that comes to my mind when I see them. After that I would say you are doing well with the composition side!

ps - also for websites in general its better to have the slidshow as an option and have a gallery as well which people can scroll through at their own pace - that way people will notice more of your shots as chances are your latter shots are not being seen

Also Great posts Rachel!:)

One post said to list what equipment I have:
I have a Canon 30D. I only have the basic 18-55 lens and a 80-200.
I am going to teach myself the basics..and I am sorry if I offended anyone. I have found that I can correct alot of mistakes taken on auto in my CS2...but I am very aware that is not true photography. I have had no training and I just wanted to start to pursue this...taking it from a hobby to a living.
I do not have reflectors, flashes, none of it yet.

I appreciate your own passion. I could definatley "feel" it!!:sexywink:

I think your style of photography would benefit greatly from a flash, like the 430EX or 580EX II. It looks like on a lot of your shots you didn't use flash because it was sunny (and Auto won't select flash on a sunny day, I don't think). But flash can be more important on a sunny day -- where the camera is trying to properly expose all the bright trees, grass, etc., it may have trouble getting a clear image of the relatively shadowy person in front. "Fill flash" fixes that problem.

If you can't afford a separate flash yet, even the on-camera flash could help fill in shadows on the kids' faces. The on-camera flash can (in my limited experience) be a bit harsh, but it's better than nothing. One trick (and this is from someone who's by no means experienced, so take it as you will) is to use your hand or a piece of paper in front of the flash to "bounce" the light a little to diffuse it. (As an extreme example, in macro photography I'll hold my hand right in front of the flash and bounce the light off my forehead and onto the flower...it sounds goofy, and I'm sure it violates some rule of photography, but it seems to work. (Though it may also mean that I should do something about that extra reflective forehead...:lol:)) It takes practice, but it seems to work.

If you are interested to see my pics that I feel show that I could possibly pursue this as a career, please go to:

It's nice to try and find something nice to say about any photographs that anyone shows you.

It certainly isn't hard to be very complimentary about those on the site above.

You quite obviously have a natural talent and I'd hazard a guess that you will be very sucessful when you feel ready to embark on your career, provided you or your agent handles the commercial aspect properly.

My only suggestion would be to check out as many people as possible to see how they feel about the amount of light in the shots (can't think of a better way of putting it). Personally I like the shots with dark areas and deep shadows but some might not. Particularly find out if the 'client' is likely to go for something 'arty' like that or something more mainstream.

The very best of luck, although I don't really think you'll need it.

Edited to add: If you didn't actually want the deep shadows in places I agree with what 'The OtherBob' said. A flash would help.

Wow,

First of all, thank you to everyone that responded. I am a little overwhelmed now. I am not a professional....and no, I am not getting paid a penny. I just wanted to see if I could interact with strangers and children and "see" the shot as I pose them. I am pretty good on auto...so I know I will be great if I feel this goes well. Thank you to those who were kind. (and to those who are not, I can take that too!) I have NEVER taken money and I feel I am about a year away from doing so. This is my passion, but it does not qualify me as a professional.

You go, girl!

I wouldn't bother responding to the naysayers above as you can probably
shoot circles around them anyway! :mrgreen:

Almost every post of yours I've read so far has come across as arrogant, condescending and immature. You seem to have a habit of getting wound up and jumping the gun, bashing people and getting frustrated.

Please calm down, and try to be constructive. Or at the very least, don't draw conclusions from missing information.

The OP didn't mention anything about being paid; he/she asked about how to interact with a subject. That, as well as getting composition right — neither of which rely on the camera in the slightest — both trump ditching Auto mode in this case, and possibly in all cases. It doesn't matter to me how well-exposed and technical a shot is — if it isn't captivating and interesting from a compositional standpoint, it's a failure. Auto mode will let you concentrate on these aspects in an environment you're entirely unfamiliar with, without ending up with piss-poor shots because you were trying to juggle and run at the same time.

I wish you luck, kingskid. Please show us your results when you're done :)
You said exactly what I didn't. Thank you. As I pursue this, I simply want to concentrate on the posing and background. I already tried to change my setting to P and AV and every shot was terrible. I just bought this 30D this month. I had a the basic Rebel for years. That is what I took all of the shots from the website with. I have alot to learn, and if nothing else, I have even more respect for a beautiful shot.

The photos on your website indicate you certainly have the talent.

Once you become comfortable with the manual settings, you will look back on those photos and realize how much more improved your skills are now as opposed to then.

Keep shooting and post your shots on TPF so we can all see. Good luck with the family shoot.

In terms of keeping children in place, have you considered krazy glue? Don't bother applying it to their clothes -- they can get out of those. For best results, apply directly to the kid.

To the rest...yeah, it depends on the lighting situation. It could be cloudly, have trees, etc, and the settings would vary tremendously depending. You just need the expertise to know what to use in what situation...and I'm sorry to say that you either have that expertise or you don't.

(And to be clear, I don't...so I don't shoot anything that pays.)
Funny! I appreciate the advice. I will keep it on hand! :)

I realize now that saying the shoot will be at 6:00 is just not helpful at all. I meant the sun will be setting. The sun goes down here at 8:00ish. I am hoping without a great relector and flash I can get some great shots at that time. I was curious about the best settings since I am pretty bare in equipment.

Mothers are usually the best at keeping their own children still, although with an infant that will be tricky. Have her bring along a toy or two perhaps?

With respect to your question of lighting, I agree that apeture priority is the way to go generally, but be careful, depending on lens and distance to subject, you may not be able to shoot wide open, ensure your shutter speed doesn't drop below 1/125 - you may need to boost your ISO.
Thank you for the setting advice. I will practice tonight and tomorrow before the shoot.

In fact, I'd say you shouldn't be doing this shoot AT ALL. I can't even BELIEVE you would take this on. You keep your camera on auto??? Oh my god I've seen it all.

How much are you being paid? (The only acceptable answer is 0, and even then only with the knowledge you're a total beginner, I just want to know)

And come on. Shooting in auto but asking in Beyond the Basics?

Sounds like you need to read up on photography basics.

images
I might have chosen the wrong forum, I just simply didn't realize how novice I really am. I have an "eye" for the shot (I think), I was looking at that aspect instead of the technical side. Sorry.

YAY lets all bash the new person...

Instead of telling them what not to do, lets tell them why they should do it the way you think it should be done.

Tips:

Ok so when you come onto onto a forum try and be as specific as possible, tell us your equipment, what you want to get out of the shoot and any other information relevent.

now depend ending where you are in the world 6 may be dark or still quite bright...

You need to have 1 (or more) reflectors in place to fill shadows

An external flash to use as fill is important-use with a defuser or or bouncing it on something otherwise the light could be to harsh (my on board camera flash is not great and I have a nice 30d)

Dont shoot Auto, your camera's brain will be trying to work out the shutter speed and aperture for you, plus it will set your ISO for you, this can result in grainy pictures. If your camera chooses a slow shutterpeed if your subjects move or your camera moves your image will get blurred-this will be aparent just from hitting your camera button as the downward pressure will shake the camera. I could go on....

If its a new camera and you are learning then I asume that you are using the photoshoot as practice and you are not gettting paid for it, so if you mess the pictures up while using AV TV or M mode dont worry-its suposed to be fun while you learn.

For poses dont cut lims off at joints and you will be fine...

The reason people get angery on the forum when people start to call them selves photographers, and start charging for pictures taken on auto or P mode with minimal equipment is because They put in alot of hard wotk to become good at what they do, pictures taken on custom settings are a world apart in quality when used correctly. so if someone is using a DSLR on auto and getting paid, the work is likely to be substandard, which in turn can give photographers a bad name. There are lots of reasons tooo.

Oh and I have been shooting manual since April with my camera and before that a year with my old camera (advanced point and shoot) and I am not ready to go out and get paid even though I have done practice shoots because I want to go out equipped with the best knowledge and take amazing shots that are worth the money that the clients paid for them-this time next year, hopefully thats where I will be :)

Last thing-post your pics when your done so we can advise you for your next practice
Rachel,

My defender. Thanks. I might have been tempted to throw my hands up without you words.
I look forward to correponding more.
Laura

i dunno, but i cant read anywhere that "paid" is mentioned in the OP. I do read "I want to practice interacting with people I have never met before" So maybe its a shoot of a family who just want to have the pics taken and a good oportunity for the OP too practice?
Anyways, like mentioned there isnt a standard setting for a certain enviroment. But like said, get it of the Auto and try the aperture priority.
I will pratice taking it off of auto...I know I have to. I just do not want to do it that day. :) Thank for you help.

Wow,

First of all, thank you to everyone that responded. I am a little overwhelmed now. I am not a professional....and no, I am not getting paid a penny. I just wanted to see if I could interact with strangers and children and "see" the shot as I pose them. I am pretty good on auto...so I know I will be great if I feel this goes well. Thank you to those who were kind. (and to those who are not, I can take that too!) I have NEVER taken money and I feel I am about a year away from doing so. This is my passion, but it does not qualify me as a professional.

An old trick for keeping kids still and absorbed-especially small ones-put some jam on their fingers and give them a feather...

Most reactions

Back