Don't waste my time

Is her blog mainly about photography?
No is about farm life and food mostly
some of these are poorly framed. But since they were free.....

The good news is, you have some free photography books now and since she didn't apparently like your work she wont be asking again so it wont be a problem.

The one with the corn in the guy's hand and the cameras kind of tells the story. I don't know why she wouldn't use it.

I think people need to start learning how to say no to their relatives! lol I know, maybe easier said than done.

But seriously it's probably better to offer to just provide a relatively small number of edited photos (and if you end up with extras that's fine) and be as clear as possible up front you don't have the experience or whatever doing this type event photography. I think people sometimes have unrealistic expectations so it can be better to be specific about what you'll be able to do (like taking a few pictures of her with the vising group) and explain why it would be better for her to take the kind of pictures she wants for her blog.

I don't know what she expected, I can see some issues with exposure and framing but some seem to just need some adjusting, cropping etc. and seem to be usable for a blog. You can't help how you feel and I probably would have felt insulted even though in her mind maybe giving you the books was well intended.

I don't know if it would be worth your time at this point to maybe offer her a few edited photos of herself or just chalk it up to experience and don't worry about it.

Tell me what you would have done differently so I can learn from this

Since you have the book, look up fill flash. See what it says about using flash with daylight.

I think giving you the books was her attempt at constructive rejection. It reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with someone who kept avoiding saying "no" to my question and kept mentioning alternatives that are possible. It sounded really weird to me and I thought she was really bad at her job. Then one day I discovered that's "a thing" that's taught so you don't sound negative. It can be difficult to execute well.

...also reminds me of the "give just one rose instead of a dozen" rule because it's supposed to be more romantic. Then I was watching some dating show where a guy did that and the girl thought he was cheap.

Can we see her blog ?

Ouch, that one's gotta burn, BGeise...

I've been saying NO to my family for a long time now. "Well I'm your uncle that you never see DO THIS FOR FREE FOR ME" Um... nope. I DON'T HAVE TIME to do your crap for free. I do charity stuff for NAMI for free, not family. They can't pay me enough lol

BGeise,

Enough with the whining already! She's your mom, put your adult pants on, say thank you and give her a kiss and a hug.

I believe it said "family member", i didn't see any mention of it being his Mom. If it was I'd agree with you 1000% lol

Tbh I don't see any depiction of farm life or food in those photos. More like snapshots of a 'touristy' farm visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh I don't see any depiction of farm life or food in those photos. More like snapshots of a 'touristy' farm visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true but I'm sure the environment wasn't that of a photo shoot. The event was going on and he did his best to cover it while it was happening. I'm sure he didn't butt in and ask people to pose or move to a better lit area. He didn't have an assistant with a reflector to add fill light. I don't know if he even had a flash. There are tough situations to shoot in and it takes a lot of experience to draw out good photos from bad circumstances.

It seems like she had high expectations for something that was a favor. Even if I had the best photographer in the world covering my event, if I didn't pay him/her the only proper response is thank you.

It doesn't seem like it but, is there any chance that she gave the books to you not as an insult but as a thank you knowing that you're into photography?

First and foremost I would never, ever give raw pictures from an event to anyone. They always will need some work since you're not in control of the environment or the subjects. That was the big mistake.
Secondly, I do consider your relative a very not nice person and would never do anything for them again. (Family Forum so can't express very well.....)
At least you had a good time shooting the event, got some nice books and learned something important about your family member. All in all a positive thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back