Doorways -- C&C please

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all -- this photo comes from a place very near me, the ruins of an old stamp mill which processed ore from local mines. I live in an area which was a one-industry region: copper mining. The mines have been closed for decades, but we've never really recovered. The industry left behind tons of HUGE, dramatic ruins. I hope that this photo gets across a little of the bleakness but also awe that I find in these places.

I would appreciate any comments you have about the composition.
In particular: the use of black and white, the "window in a window" effect, and its overall effect -- I am considering using this piece in my portfolio.

main.php

Last edited:
i like shots of old buildings that have some history. nice work..

Very cool picture indeed. Hope you dont mind I edited it a bit.
Cropped the sides to give attention to the door, and played with levels, curve, shadows and sharpened to give the walls some pop.
14334356ri0.jpg

Very cool picture indeed. Hope you dont mind I edited it a bit.
Cropped the sides to give attention to the door, and played with levels, curve, shadows and sharpened to give the walls some pop.
14334356ri0.jpg
I like your edit of it, it helps to see the detail in the wood frame of the door.

Thanks, Akoz!

600RR -- no problem on the edit. Yours has a much more "gritty" feel -- it actually reminds me of photos from the era when this building was in action! I do like my version, because it preserves so much detail in the shadows and hilights -- in fact, I pushed it just as far as I could without losing those details!

So, I thought again about 600RR's edit, and then I popped into Gimp and used some curves -- to preserve the hilight and shadow detail. Here's the result!

main.php

I like it, was hard for me to scroll from the top to the bottom to see the difference. But all in all I like your revised version better then the first, there is a little more pop.

Most reactions

Back