Doubts with Mamiya 7 ii + 150mm lens (also 43mm)

May I know which APS-c and 1/1.7" cameras they are. Also would like to know the lens used in these 3 cases. And also, was the ones taken on 1/1.7" done with a long focal length?

The APS-c images were from Fuji X cameras. A couple years ago I traded a Canon 5dmkII system for a Fuji X-E2 and now use a Fuji X-T2. The X-T2 is an overall superior camera to the 5d. The FF image was from the 5d and the three APS-C images from the X-T2 using the 18-55mm zoom. The 1/1.7 images were from my main camera a Samsung EX-2 which was their flagship compact before they got out of the camera business. I call it my main camera because it goes where I go and I use it nearly daily. The lens is a Schneider zoom 5.2-17.2mm f/1.4-2.7. In 35mm equivalence that's a 24-70mm zoom. The photo of the stone arch bridge was taken at the wide end while the other two were taken at what would basically be a normal lens focal length -- not long lens.

Definitely understand and agree with your opinion. The mamiya still has that 43mm lens to draw me back. Maybe after a few months owning them and looking at images, I might wanna take blind tests again to see if I fare well (not so confident on that though).

The Mamiya 7 with the 43 is an awesome camera. I also have a personal preference for lenses on the wide end and bought the Fujis initially because of the 14mm 2.8.

True! And yep, I do really want to try out film. I guess the above were just probably bland justifications my mind made up since I want to experience this. For the photographs I take on phone, I just feel that the algorithms that the cameras use to set attributes don't match anywhere close to what my mind thinks. Is there anything really there to 6x7 format tho (other than narrow depth of field).

I'm looking at film camera now, just for that experience.

Yes, I still have interest in Digital Photography. The fuji XT2 and X2 looked really great with their fujinon lenses as well. And there's canons, sonys and stuff. However, if I were to buy a digital camera I'd want it to do video pretty decently. Not really interested in high resolution but rather more into moire control and aberration free video. And since my preference is first person videos, fairly well controlled rolling shutter is a must. And I prefer 60fps (not really a fan of 30fps). This knocks off any fuji, sony and modern canons from my list. And that alone narrows down my options to GH5 (4K 60fps) and D750 (1080p 60fps) when I look at somewhat affordable cameras. Both of which take great photos as well, photos is my first priority and they have an excellent selection of lens to choose from. And if I had very disposable income I'd love to get a Leica SL + their 28-90mm and call it a day (that thing has gorgeous 1080p 120fps video capabilities given thee iso is kept to 400 or below). Another very interesting camera imo is leica X-U.. but I don't think I have any time for an adventure in the next 12-18 months (hectic job)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I am looking at my options. Right now I just want to find a place where I can find the mamiya 7 ii for a reasonable price ( USD 1200$ or below). I am thinking Mamiya 7 because of that 43mm lens.

$1200 is a hefty chunk of change and if thats your budget I may suggest you take a look at some of the system camera's (Bigger Mamiya's and Hasselblads). It may be worth it to try and get your hands on a few of them (via rentals or a local camera club etc.). They fall well with in your price range and IMO offer more flexibility. Most have a decent 40mm lens as well.

Another thing to consider is getting a non working one or a beat up one and having it serviced. I dont know who's out there thats good with the 7's but im sure there is someone. In this case you can get a decent unit cheap and spend the difference having it fixed. Whats nice here is you should generally budget for a CLA anyway and in this case you can roll the repairs into it and sometimes save a bit.

You may want to consider a Pentax 6x7 as well. It offers the same 120 format shooting and a 45mm lens at a far better price point.

Thanks a lot. I am looking at my options. Right now I just want to find a place where I can find the mamiya 7 ii for a reasonable price ( USD 1200$ or below). I am thinking Mamiya 7 because of that 43mm lens.

$1200 is a hefty chunk of change and if thats your budget I may suggest you take a look at some of the system camera's (Bigger Mamiya's and Hasselblads). It may be worth it to try and get your hands on a few of them (via rentals or a local camera club etc.). They fall well with in your price range and IMO offer more flexibility. Most have a decent 40mm lens as well.

Another thing to consider is getting a non working one or a beat up one and having it serviced. I dont know who's out there thats good with the 7's but im sure there is someone. In this case you can get a decent unit cheap and spend the difference having it fixed. Whats nice here is you should generally budget for a CLA anyway and in this case you can roll the repairs into it and sometimes save a bit.

You may want to consider a Pentax 6x7 as well. It offers the same 120 format shooting and a 45mm lens at a far better price point.

Thank you. I did (and still do consider) the pentax but it is kind of heavy. Another big reason why I'm considering the mamiya is the size and "somewhat portability", especially since I'm going to do with only two lens. I know that mamiya 6 is a better choice for portability but it lacks the 43mm (it's 50mm on a 6x6 as opposed to 43mm on a 6x7.. thats a noticeable difference in framing). Both mamiya 6 and 7 are a lot like the leicas, and not really odd considering they are rangefinders. I must have been clear, I am more interested in rangefinders because of the weight savings they give. Yes I know the drawbacks, but I believe I can mitigate it. Also I'm not sure if I looked at the wrong images, but a google search on pentax 45mm showed some visible vignetting, while the mamiya didn't. What are some good 45mm lens for the pentax. I could see a f/2.8, a f/4 and a f/4.5 I believe. The size and weight is driving me away, but if i couldn't find a mamiya, this looks like a really nice choice at a much cheaper price. I also have interest in plaubel makina, fuji gf670 but not having wide enough lens turns me away from them. I think I am a corner case since I prefer 43mm and 150mm over the general 80mm.

Also I'm from India, and I can't really get a demo of anything. Even my shure srh1540 headphone purchase was kind of done without an audition, only after going through a lot of measurements and reviews and comparing impressions/measurements with some good heaphones (vsonic gr07) I had. But glad they turned out to be so lovable headphones. Hope I find some similar results with cameras

Most reactions

New Topics

Back