Down the pipe

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like copper with petina, and like the texture of the stone behind this drain pipe. I'm just not sure about this one and I don't know why.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_1845a by breckmiller, on Flickr

The textures are great, i think what is missing for me and maybe you would be some type of balance on the left and right side. If you could isolate the pipe then this would be a great picture.

I agree with swash in that the textures are nice, but the fact that the image isnt symmetrical throws it off

If that's copper with some patina I think color would be better to convey it.

What they said! Here's the problem with patina on copper - it's green to the bluish side. If you work the patina, you end up with something that looks very much like snow or paint on a pipe or pole. if you work just the copper, because of the complimentary nature of reds and greens, you get contrast but it's going ot be flat as what you have above. Do color!

Last edited:
I agree wih them

Thanks for the comments. Per requests, here are some reworks I've come up with.

First, basically just a recrop without the stone joints creating lack of symetry.

IMG_1845c by breckmiller, on Flickr

Next, color version. Not cropped at all, just for the sake of color.

IMG_1845d by breckmiller, on Flickr

Finally, still in black and white, but really worked it over for kicks and ended up with an abstract sky shot.

IMG_1845b by breckmiller, on Flickr

Let me know what you think.

I'd like to see a worked up colour version. The abstract crop is interesting, looks like a painting.

If you are going to work up the color, me thinks you are going to have to work the red channel pretty heavily to get back some of the copper color.

There really wasn't any true copper color left, even to the naked eye. It's on the Iowa capitol building, so it's been there a while. I assumed it was copper based on the petina, but maybe not. This color version is actually quite close to the original, possibly even a little warmer.

The cropped B&W is pretty good, but I'd go with more contrast on the pipe and less on the stone.

The pipe has no depth. Too flat. It may as well be a piece of paper. The masonry around it is more interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back