What's new

Downgrade to d5100 or wait?

Mooseontheloose

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
505
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I currently have a d80, which I love, but I haven't been taking as much still photography lately. I'm getting a lot more into film, and I want to get a dslr that takes video. So basically, my thoughts so far have been to sell the d80 and buy a d5100 because from what I understand, it has the best video in its class right now. The only thing I will miss is the more professional controls of the d80( second wheel, lcd screen etc.) I would love a d90 for stills, but video is the most important thing and the 5100 seems much better. It seems we are at an inbetween a phase where the dslr's are all getting better and better video but some are still behind. So should I wait a bit longer until d90 replacement has as good of video as the d5100? Does anyone have an estimate as to when that will be? Really would just like some discussion on the matter.
 
The best DSLR video available from Nikon at this time is found on the D7000.

The Nikon D90 was the first DSLR to also have video. Consequently, the evolution of DSLR video has been pretty rapid as the camera makers have understood the popularity of video and the video features consumeers seem to want.

The D5100 does not have a focus motor in the body, so if any of your lenses are AF, rather than AF-S or AF-I lenses, you would have to manually focus them when mounted on a D5100.

To shoot video effectively using a DSLR, requires adding a fair amount of not inexpensive, aftermarket hardware.

Nikon does not pre-announce new camera models. We all find out at pretty much the same time, but you can always follow the rumors www.nikonrumors.com.
 
Last edited:
The d7000 is a little out of my price range right now, but I was under the impression that the d5100 had very similar video quality. As far as lenses go, I wouldn't really need autofocus for video anyway, though I do have two af-s lenses.

one flaw I see with the d5100 is that there is no manual aperture control in video mode.
 
You may want to note that going from the D80 to the D5100 will net you an overall increase in image quality and may not really be a downgrade, for 2 main reasons:
  1. the D5100's CMOS image sensor over the D80's CCD image sensor (less image noise at equivelent ISO settings, broader dynamic range)
  2. the D5100's EXPEED image processor.
 
Indeed, I think the main downgrade is just in the UI. There are fewer controls on the d5100 and no lcd screen on top so it's really just a matter of ease of use. I will really appreciate the newer sensor though, especially for low light shooting.
 
Price point wise the D7000 is the replacement for the D90, it just offers more for the money. Like Keith said, the 5100 will offer better IQ and better high ISO handling that what you have now. I'm fairly sure your D80 doesn't have an in body focus motor anyway so it isn't like you would be doing without something you have now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom