downloading photos to pc - deleted photos showing up

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As the title implies:

I recently did a shoot, and deleted photos as I was going.

The problem is, all of those deleted photos remained on my card. A lot.

And now I am faced with going through the entire card to find the keepers.

This had never happened before? Can you advise on what happened?

Thanks!

17i8wr.jpg

Were you saving both JPGs and Raw files? If you deleted one but not the other, you would still have a file on there.

(or aliens)

Files are not deleted. Only their markers get ignored. Files without markers get overwritten with new files or blank space when a card is formatted. It is possible that the PC did not recognize that the markers were removed in camera.

You would be better served to shoot, download then review and delete.

I can't explain what happened; butI second the view about deleting in the computer.

Generally speaking its better to focus on shooting in the field and to take more memory cards than you (on average) need and have excess space at the end of a shoot. Then come back home and get the photos up on the computer for proper review.

The LCD on the camera is tiny and it can be hard to always judge a photo without scrolling around it a lot and fiddling about going back and forth in zooms and positions. This all takes time; time better spent shooting. Granted there will be times when this isn't true - eg when using flash and the flashes fail to light the subject and you get a black photo etc.... Those times sometimes it is worth dropping in to delete in the field because you know 100% that its a wasted shot.

Otherwise I would focus on shooting rather than reviewing the LCD for too long.

Shooting and storing on dual cards? Maybe you're deleting files off one card, then inserting the other card into the computer.

Nikon cameras have a feature to mark individual photos as Protected, so they cannot be Deleted by the Delete button. I think you have to do that individually though...............

Shooting and storing on dual cards? Maybe you're deleting files off one card, then inserting the other card into the computer.

Dennybeall, you probably nailed it.

I recently picked up a new camera (C. 5d mark iii) and this was the first shoot done with both cards (CF & SD).

As mentioned, I deleted certain shots in the field and then uploaded to my pc directly through the camera (not a card reader).

The logical question then:

When deleting photos in the field by camera and while using two cards, is the camera deleting in one card and not the other?
Thanks in advance.

I agree with the others on not deleting in the field.

When deleting photos in the field by camera and while using two cards, is the camera deleting in one card and not the other?
Thanks in advance.

Because they're two different storage mediums. Just like if you stored a file on two separate hard drives, deleting it off one won't automatically delete it off the other.

Thanks in advance.

Because they're two different storage mediums. Just like if you stored a file on two separate hard drives, deleting it off one won't automatically delete it off the other.

Thanks. There has been a lot of positive feedback about the importance of not deleting in the field (for obvious reasons) and leaving your shots in tact on the card until you get home and view them on the pc.

I shoot hockey and between whistles I like to get rid of the really obvious shots that have to be discarded (AF didn't focus on the puck carrier).

"delete" -> "are you sure you want to delete this photo" -> "yes"

Is there an an adjustment in the camera so that when you're shooting with both cards, and you delete a shot, that it deletes the image from BOTH cards?

Thanks again in advance.

Is there an an adjustment in the camera so that when you're shooting with both cards, and you delete a shot, that it deletes the image from BOTH cards?

Thanks again in advance.

Not that I'm aware of. But I don't delete in the field so if there is one, it's a function I haven't looked for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back