jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today was a day of firsts for me. This is my first Downy Woodpecker. I heard it hammering, but it took me about five minutes to finally spot it, and it was in deep shade. EV was +8/3, whatever that means, but it was what I needed to get the detail of the bird in the shade. Needless to say, the background was washed out, but hey.

feb05202202 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

MitchP

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice capture! The upper right corner is definitely bright, you could probably crop smaller and eliminate it completely.

K9Kirk

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Cool looking birds, too bad about the light. I've tried to catch red-bellied woodpeckers on the sides of trees like that and they can be very annoying. it seems like whenever they see me they keep moving to the opposite side of where ever I am. It's like they make a game out of it and tease the living hell out of you. ;)

OP
jeffashman

jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice capture! The upper right corner is definitely bright, you could probably crop smaller and eliminate it completely.
Thanks! I thought about it, but I didn't want to clip the nice triangle that the branches make. I may try my hand at layering and darkening the background, if I can find time to fiddle around with it.
Very nice shot.....
Thanks!
Cool looking birds, too bad about the light. I've tried to catch red-bellied woodpeckers on the sides of trees like that and they can be very annoying. it seems like whenever they see me they keep moving to the opposite side of where ever I am. It's like they make a game out of it and tease the living hell out of you. ;)
Yep. This one was in a place where I couldn't maneuver much due to the undergrowth, and it did scoot around to the other side once it noticed me.

ivanz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice capture Jeff, Dont let him around your house.

PJM

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Congrats on your capture.

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Congrats getting the shot of the woodpecker. We have one that visits in the summer, but he is camera shy.

Most reactions