DPReview closing down

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A loss of a huge resource.

Not delivering enough eyeballs to advertisers, methinks.

Last edited:
A loss of a huge resource.

I saw this yesterday sorry and sad to see it go. Karma to the owners amazon.

Too bad. They were a good source of info for many years.

I disagree that it’s a sign of the decline of digital cameras - it’s more of a sign of the glut of reviews that are out there on every website and by every YouTuber.

In the case of DPR it was bottom line. Amazon is shutting down DPReview, the go-to camera reviews website though frankly I never really understood why Amazon went there in the first place

disagree that it’s a sign of the decline of digital cameras - it’s

In the case of the lower end cameras, it is. Why spend $$$$ for a cell phone and a camera when the camera in newer phones can do everything a low end digital can do and more. We live in a hurry up, click and share world where the general population is more interested in quick snaps they can post on social media, than long term memories. Sadly the people who view those online snaps care even less. Click and scroll, it's gone as quick as it came up. You've done some beautiful landscapes, I don't know if you do FB but if you post there, ask a friend to tell you the last three images you posted, bet they cant.

They've owned it for a long time. Guess it shouldn't be a surprise that they finally decided to kill it. Such a good resource that they seemingly wasted. Definitely sad news.

I disagree that it’s a sign of the decline of digital cameras - it’s more of a sign of the glut of reviews that are out there on every website and by every YouTuber.
vFYRnCM.png

Digital camera worldwide shipping all time high was back in 2010 at 121,463,234 units. 2022 only had 8,011,598.

That's a drop of more than 113.4 million digital cameras.

What suffered the most were consumer point & shoots and consumer ILCs like the Canon EOS M, Canon Rebel (US) and Kiss (Japan) that all are quickly approaching <1 million units worldwide shipped.

Professional cameras like the Canon R3, R5, R6, etc still sell similarly well for the past dozen years.

If our forum's admin have the time they could confirm that around 2010 was peak number of activity of TPF and that the last 12 months was its lowest.

Last edited:
In the case of the lower end cameras, it is. Why spend $$$$ for a cell phone and a camera when the camera in newer phones can do everything a low end digital can do and more. We live in a hurry up, click and share world where the general population is more interested in quick snaps they can post on social media, than long term memories.
To further support your point watch this video on how smartphones ate into over 90% of the consumer digital camera market. This started in year 2008-today.

Smartphones did not materially take marketshare away from professional digital cameras as those who use them for work need to upgrade to them again.

Most reactions

Back