DPReview closing down

I don't disagree that camera sales are declining, I just don't think that's the main reason dp review is closing shop.

I don't disagree that camera sales are declining, I just don't think that's the main reason dp review is closing shop.
The shutdown most likely economic.

DPReview was/is the most popular digital camera review website. That's why Amazon bought them. It helped drive sales for Amazon hence all the links pointing to their product line up while keeping most of the referal link revenue.

Odds are dropping number of visitors, sales and ad revenue led to its shutdown.

I would not be surprised if Amazon subsidized its operations for at least 3 years.

@SquarePeg of course not social media actoss the board is struggling. Look at Facebook and Twitter, they're both going through massive cuts.

Here's a thought.

If you have any friends on DPR's forum why not invite them to come over to our forum?

I am sure their are some looking for a new home for the coming decades.

Here's a thought.

If you have any friends on DPR's forum why not invite them to come over to our forum?

I fully support this :) We would love to have new members!

If they offered something that enough people would pay for, they'd be able to stay in business.

Im
Here's a thought.

I’m sure they are all Googling and investigating the other photo forums around.

Im

I’m sure they are all Googling and investigating the other photo forums around.
Active recruitment would bode better for our forum.

Not all of them may consider a 2nd home.

vFYRnCM.png

Digital camera worldwide shipping all time high was back in 2010 at 121,463,234 units. 2022 only had 8,011,598.

That's a drop of more than 113.4 million digital cameras.

What suffered the most were consumer point & shoots and consumer ILCs like the Canon EOS M, Canon Rebel (US) and Kiss (Japan) that all are quickly approaching <1 million units worldwide shipped.

Professional cameras like the Canon R3, R5, R6, etc still sell similarly well for the past dozen years.

If our forum's admin have the time they could confirm that around 2010 was peak number of activity of TPF and that the last 12 months was its lowest.
If you're including point & shoot cameras surely you should include smart phones which are effectively much the same camera wise.
Mirrorless looks remarkable constant since their introduction.

Here's another thought....11 staff members and outside contributors are going to be out of a job. Maybe TPF could expanded the services and offerings here with some of those people 🤔

Here's another thought....11 staff members and outside contributors are going to be out of a job. Maybe TPF could expanded the services and offerings here with some of those people 🤔
Unless they changed their ways, they might run us down too.

If you're including point & shoot cameras surely you should include smart phones which are effectively much the same camera wise.
DPR and this forum do an actively attract smartphone users.

Other websites and youtubers attract that crowd.

Digital camera brands are not predominant smartphone brands.
Mirrorless looks remarkable constant since their introduction.
ILCs ship less than 6 million worldwide annually.

Have used do reviews in the past, however found that members here are a much better way of finding information .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back