DPReview closing down

I have been here for years, in the background, but switched over to DP. Well, I'm back! I hope to see more DP users heading this way.

I have been here for years, in the background, but switched over to DP. Well, I'm back! I hope to see more DP users heading this way.

Welcome back! Tell others to join you!

Have used do reviews in the past, however found that members here are a much better way of finding information .

I would love to see more detailed reviews here. If we can get some going we can feature them on the front page and the newsletter.

why not it will be a real life review by people who use the lit

Long-term reviews and evaluations of trailing edge gear are relative rarities anywhere. People do buy last year's models and relatively new used gear.

The thing I like best about this forum is it’s not all gear talk all the time. That being said - I trust the gear opinions of our TPF members more than any official review on any site.

Just saw this re DP Review

Digicamfinder.com looked useful, but when I followed the link I didn't get any cameras. The page may be phone friendly but isn't friendly to my linux system :(
Hopefully just a short term glitch....

Digicamfinder.com looked useful, but when I followed the link I didn't get any cameras. The page may be phone friendly but isn't friendly to my linux system :(
Hopefully just a short term glitch....
Yeah sounds like it’s really just getting off the ground. Time will tell!

How many of those 2500+ cameras "reviewed" are in landfills now? The slightly annoying booster seems certain DPReview was holy writ in all matters. One still has to ask what crippled and killed it. You fill in the answer blanks.

Sites like DP review tend to feed the idea that "if only my camera were better, then my photography would be better".

Insecurity sells cameras - who would have guessed?

Haven't paid attention to that site in years. They died for a reason.

Reactions: cgw
Sites like DP review tend to feed the idea that "if only my camera were better, then my photography would be better".

Insecurity sells cameras - who would have guessed?

Haven't paid attention to that site in years. They died for a reason.
Online reviews--lots of them--for everything from dishcloths to DSLRs are thick on the ground now. Too many ponies doing the same trick.

The slightly annoying booster seems certain DPReview was holy writ in all matters. One still has to ask what crippled and killed it. You fill in the answer blanks.
Have to agree with you. I never took much stock in their reviews.

I just joined this site . So far it has about 2000 members. DPRevived
Thanks for posting the link, Joel - looks like it may offer a lot that TPF doesn't. The pretty pictures posted here, and the pithy remarks they garner, get old pretty quick. DPRevived looks like it's aimed at photographers. I'll lurk there a bit more before deciding to join, though.

Thanks for posting the link, Joel - looks like it may offer a lot that TPF doesn't. The pretty pictures posted here, and the pithy remarks they garner, get old pretty quick. DPRevived looks like it's aimed at photographers. I'll lurk there a bit more before deciding to join, though.
Snarky or what?
"DPRevived looks like it's aimed at photographers."
Maybe gear-fondling "photographers" who fret about dying in their sleep not owning the latest toys?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back