Dragonfly.

View attachment 195550
Nikon D610 w 28-80 AF-D
Is there a bit of motion blur at the head, or is that an effect of depth of field that makes the focus appear less sharp there?
Just curious, 'cuz I'm so new at this I'm not sure how to determine the difference.

It's hard to tell from the photo size here, but it could be one of three things:

1) Motion blur.

2) Depth of field - not a bad call considering the angle of the insect relative to the camera and also because those eyes are very big and have a curved surface. So its very possible to get one part of the eye in focus and other parts out of focus. Sometimes even a sliver in the middle of the eye is in focus and the fore and rear of the eye are blurred.

3) The actual nature of segmented eyes. You'll notice this greatly when shooting through a viewfinder; insect eyes can be hard to focus on because their segmented nature and the fact many also have tiny hairs protruding out of the segment joins; gives the eyes a slight blurred appearance. You can see the segments zoomed in on a photo but to our naked eye through a viewfinder it can actually be hard to focus on the eyes. Sometimes you have to pick areas of the face or body that are in the same plane as the eyes to focus on instead. .

The head is less sharp, it would not be motion blur @ 80mm 1/1000 and if it was it would not be only to the head but the entire insect.It' is more related to focus point not being pin point on the head and DOF.Hard hand holding focus on such a small insect about 12 inches away give or take with out moving especially when pressing the shutter button. Kinda like before it moves or flies away.Tripod is always ideal but i was just sitting in the yard with no intention of shooting insects.

Last edited:
Thank
View attachment 195550
Nikon D610 w 28-80 AF-D
Is there a bit of motion blur at the head, or is that an effect of depth of field that makes the focus appear less sharp there?
Just curious, 'cuz I'm so new at this I'm not sure how to determine the difference.

It's hard to tell from the photo size here, but it could be one of three things:

1) Motion blur.

2) Depth of field - not a bad call considering the angle of the insect relative to the camera and also because those eyes are very big and have a curved surface. So its very possible to get one part of the eye in focus and other parts out of focus. Sometimes even a sliver in the middle of the eye is in focus and the fore and rear of the eye are blurred.

3) The actual nature of segmented eyes. You'll notice this greatly when shooting through a viewfinder; insect eyes can be hard to focus on because their segmented nature and the fact many also have tiny hairs protruding out of the segment joins; gives the eyes a slight blurred appearance. You can see the segments zoomed in on a photo but to our naked eye through a viewfinder it can actually be hard to focus on the eyes. Sometimes you have to pick areas of the face or body that are in the same plane as the eyes to focus on instead. .
Thank you for the help.

Thank you
The head is less sharp, it would not be motion blur @ 80mm 1/1000 and if it was it would not be only to the head but the entire insect.It' is more related to focus point not being pin point on the head and DOF.Hard hand holding focus on such a small insect about 12 inches away give or take with out moving especially when pressing the shutter button. Kinda like before it moves or flies away.Tripod is always ideal but i was just sitting in the yard with no intention of shooting insects.
Thank you.

FWIW, it's a good job of getting a nice shot on the spur of the moment, imo.

mgI8Adn.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back