Dream Interpretation

most (if not all) dreams i've had were about something i've been thinking about knowingly or unknowingly...

ie:

1) i dreamt twice that i was in a city, everything blew up, people were dead or dying - just before each time, i had been thinking about nuclear weapons and their effects on people (although my nuclear explosions are weird - not James Cameron style, but more... Terry Gilliam meets David Lynch meets Tim Burton meets acid trip style, i mean, there are people just standing in a park (which isn't on fire), burning at 5000 degrees, just standing there like nothing is happening).

2) i've also dreamt that i was in a forest, and aliens invaded at night killing everybody, i try to commit suicide out of desperation (though even after shooting myself in the dream, i didn't die), then i find a gang of people, most of whom slaughtered in a battle, last stand, flee into the forest - it's a combination of a lot of stuff, especially the movie Stalingrad, where almost everybody is slaughtered, a gang is left for dead, they struggle, most die, one shoots himself, flee at the end.

i've also had dreams where a giant Mr. Clean popped up over a distant desert ridgeline, and wolves were following me on a rusted subway train (in the middle of the desert), and giant ropes, two story school busses, pirate ships carrying flowing lava, etc.

In a period of a week I had a dream 3 times. It was about nuclear attack. The first one, every one died. The second one I save my self. And the third one I saved my family and myself. We all hid in the basement. For some reason it was blast proof...and radiation proof.

I also had one there the sun blew up. But because it's so far away I had a few minutes to say goodbye to the people I was with. That was a weird feeling.

I went through a series of dreams where everyone, whoever happened to be in the start of the dream, always ended up being decapitated. The heads laid on the floor and talked about what a drag it was to have lost their body. Bloody and graphic-like conversations.

I got really tired of those dreams. They finally went away, though.

*resists the urge to make sexual comment*

It's true. I can't deny it.

"I am whatever you say I am, if I wasn't then why would I say I am." - Eminem

You could however, take this in the psychological ways...

Just the two neurobiological explanations of dreaming I can remember.
Hobson and McCarley suggested that...in basic terms, your brain just gets active in certain areas, and first of random bits of sensory infomation which is all fake.
Your brain gets this infomation, and tries to make sense of it, hence the dream.
The reason you dont usually smell or taste is because they are different from hearing and seeing senses, and have been deactivated.
The reason you dont jump about is because of the output blocker...basic your spine shuts down so to speak.

Or we could listen to sigmund freud, your inlove with your parents, your never grown out of your aural, or some other sexual step when you were a child.
Freud also thought it was a way of explaining away worries for the brain, and that it will make up stories to make you feel alright about problems.
e.g. a cigar represents a penis, a guitar probably means penis, tower...penis...thats all he thinks about?
He also said, sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar.

Ill look up some more theories and get back to you :)

Oh yeh, lets not forget the Reverse learning theory.

Your brain may be whiping out what is known as parasitic infomation that isnt needed.
Think of it as erasing your cookies :)

Marctwo said:
That's a very blurred line if you've tried lucid dreaming. ;)
I think I've sorta done that! That's where you know you are dreaming, right? I watched a show about it a long time ago on TLC or something, and that same night I had a dream, then saw a flash, and somehow KNEW I was dreaming, even though it wasn't done quite like on the show. It was quite awesome.

Yes, it's when you know you're dreaming but more importantly it's when you control how your dreams go. ;)

I spent a few months at it a while back - very dangerous stuff!

<edit> Psychologically dangerous, that is. ;) </edit>

Yeah...that's what I did...once I knew I was dreaming, I controlled it. I did things I was afraid to do in real life.

Most reactions

Back