What's new

Dried Roses

chammer

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
640
Reaction score
5
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found a bundle of dried roses in the house, and figured i'd try a couple different angles on them since they looked quite interesting to me:

1.


Shutter Speed: 1/13th
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100

2.


Shutter Speed: 1/8th
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100

3.


Shutter Speed: 1/6th
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 36mm
ISO: 100

C&C is welcome as always! Thanks!
 
Love #2... I like #1, but would crop it just a little differently :)

i was thinking of cropping it portrait style initially, but liked how the bottom flowed across.

here's a quick portrait type crop for comparison:

 
Now that I see it cropped that way, am I allowed to change my mind? :) The bottom left corner of the first one bugs me a little, but overall it's better then the 2nd version I think.
 
On your crop, the bud opens to the left, which is kind of like a person looking to the left, so it looks awkward to be so close to that edge. I think subject has some potential.

On #3 I think you couold crop out the stems, and give the top bud just a little more headroom.
 
thanks guys!

bitter: so you're saying instead of cropping that flower to the left edge, crop it to the right edge with open space in the center/left so its essentially facing inwards instead of outwards?
 
Yes, chammer.
The problem with that image though is you have more interesting stuff in the bottom right that will be lost, cropping at my suggestion. Definately a tricky crop.
 
thanks! im glad that made sense enough to you, im really tired at the moment hehe. :)

i guess if i want that picture, then isolating that flower from the rest of them would be the easiest solution. perhaps with a black backdrop. but yea...i do see it now the more i look at it. its definitely distracting even though it is blurred.
 
I played with a couple of your images. Man, these are tricky to try to get a compelling composition.

On number three, I think that top bud just needs to go. Then the image looks better with the stems in. To me, you know opinions and all, no matter what I try to do that dang bud ends up pretty centered. Not trying to be strict Rule of Thirdy, but I can't get anything to feel right.

I hate when this happens. You have a cool subject, but some element of the image prevents you from making the image sing. If I may post an example of my own...

3826963433_0b6b930fe5.jpg

This shot is just "meh, Ok" to me. I don't like the tree branches/leaves in the upper left. This image is a slight crop, but if I took it further in, then that pipe/post is to close to the edge, if I crop that out then the headlight is too close to the edge. I didn't want to lose the windshield either though, but I see now using this reply box to crop, I have a much more successful image if I crop it landscape orientation between the hood and the bumper.

I hope you find this useful, and I am not just yammering on. :D
 
yea, i see what you mean. i do really like that bundle of dried roses too. i think i can get something from them. i will play with them more tonight and see what i can come up with.

i like that truck too, but i agree. those leaves kind ruin the windshield. have you thought about cloning them out vs. cropping them out? i do love the color of that truck and its rust. great personality!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom