Driftwood At Whitefish Point Lighthouse

pendennis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple of weeks after visiting Marblehead, Ohio, we set off for the Michigan Upper Peninsula. Our first stop was at the legendary Whitefish Point (near where the ore ship Edmond Fitzgerald sand in the mid-70's). The lighthouse is contemporary by lighthouse standards, and the beach and breakwater area north of the light is a depository for driftwood of all sorts.

This image was taken on Ektachrome 100 Professional using a Mamiya Super and a 45mm lens. It was scanned using the Epson V850 and VueScan imaging software.

Whitefish%20Point%20Lighthouse%20-%20View%202_zpsq6of8n6g.jpg

Hmm, what happened to the sky ?
The sky, as I remember was somewhat cloudy, with the sun between clouds and the slightly clearer skies to the southwest. I had to shoot due south, and the sun light was so strong, it seemed heighten the contrast a bit much for my tastes. After scanning, I ran the image through Photoshop Elements and Affinity. Neither one provided enough latitude in the contrast/exposure options. The image I have on the computer does have some blue on the horizon, and isn't so bleached.

PS - After thinking about this a bit more, I also believe that the Ektachrome may have been beyond its limits to handle the high contrast.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back