Reaction score
Website
toths.us
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
....drop(s)
P9286182.jpg

P9286193.jpg

Hi Gary - These are really awesome! The circular ripples, the rings of colors and the perfectly focused drop complete with reflections! Great job!

Hi Gary - These are really awesome! The circular ripples, the rings of colors and the perfectly focused drop complete with reflections! Great job!

Thanks very much, Carol. In case you were wondering, here's my high-end setup for these shots: A plastic dish placed on a conveniently-grabbed magazine, eye dropper, onboard flash shot with a 14-42mm kit lens and the cheapest +4 lens/filter I could find, wired remote shutter release. That's it

P9280829.jpg

Thanks. I was kind of curious, especially about what you used for the background. The colors are so nice and I see now that the flower photo on the magazine really helped with the effect because the ripple moves out with the flower petals. Very cool! Now that cold weather is moving in and my yard is void of any flowers, perhaps I'll set up shop in my kitchen and try some drop shots. Its been on my to do list for awhile. :)

Thanks. I was kind of curious, especially about what you used for the background. The colors are so nice and I see now that the flower photo on the magazine really helped with the effect because the ripple moves out with the flower petals. Very cool! Now that cold weather is moving in and my yard is void of any flowers, perhaps I'll set up shop in my kitchen and try some drop shots. Its been on my to do list for awhile. :)

There are TONS of "how-to's" but the big trick for me was a constant target area. It's nearly impossible to get that eye dropper aimed in the same area every time for every drop. I'm working on a system now but, need a little time (don't we all?) to give it the acid test (so to speak ;) )

There are TONS of "how-to's" but the big trick for me was a constant target area. It's nearly impossible to get that eye dropper aimed in the same area every time for every drop. I'm working on a system now but, need a little time (don't we all?) to give it the acid test (so to speak ;) )
I made a dedicated rig to do that, but my first impromptu rig was a stick held in place over the pan by two light stands, with a plastic baggie of water hanging from the middle of the stick with a clamp, tiny pinhole in the baggie so it would leak a drip, drip, drip, all in the same spot every time.

Then I placed a small object like a nut (from a nut and bolt) where the water drops and hits it each time, focus on the nut, lock down the focus, remove the nut, and start shooting in time with the splashdown.

Most reactions

Back