Drone beginner's question

satimis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll start my journey on Drone to take photos and video. Neither I have the devices. Could any folk on the forum shedding me some light.

1) Equipment I need to purchase for an amateur, not for profession
2) Where can I find the relevant forum for help

Thanks in advance

Regards

Hello and welcome, there are lots of very good videos on Utube, good luck....

Hi all,

I'll start my journey on Drone to take photos and video. Neither I have the devices. Could any folk on the forum shedding me some light.

1) Equipment I need to purchase for an amateur, not for profession
2) Where can I find the relevant forum for help

Thanks in advance

Regards
Some information here to get you started:
Good luck!

Thanks for your advice.

Just went through;
The complete beginner's guide to drone photography

I'll purchase the drone with on-board camera feature because of smaller in size. I have following questions.

1)
What camera shall I purchase ?

2)
Can I mount a smart phone on Drone as camera ?

3)
Remote control
If mounting a smart phone as camera I can remote-control it via another smart phone as controller, running "Remote Desktop" technology. The video and/or photos captured are stored on the camera-smart phone. Can I have the video and/or photos stored on the control-smart phone directly?

4)
If purchasing a camera, will the remote desktop features available on the camera.

Please advise. Thanks

Regards

Thanks for your advice.

Just went through;
That article looks very old, and pretty out-dated.
I'll purchase the drone with on-board camera feature because of smaller in size. I have following questions.

1)
The camera that comes with the drone.
2)
Yes, but don't do that. There's no need, it adds a lot of extra weight to the drone and offers no advantages. It adds a rather difficult camera control problem. Just use the camera on the drone.
3)
Remote control
If mounting a smart phone as camera I can remote-control it via another smart phone as controller, running "Remote Desktop" technology. The video and/or photos captured are stored on the camera-smart phone. Can I have the video and/or photos stored on the control-smart phone directly?
No, do not do any of that.
4)
If purchasing a camera, will the remote desktop features available on the camera.

Please advise. Thanks

Regards
The current generation of drones all include excellent cameras, with a number of advantages. First, camera control is built into the control system for the drone. You can aim the camera, adjust exposure, resolution, shutter, pretty much everything you need, and it's all built into the camera and control system.

In reality you are learing two different skills, plus some knowlege about flying and regulation. They should be learned separately, and in sequence.

1. Learn the regulations and laws that govern drone flight in your area. Learn them all, and plan to adhere to them. Do this before you buy anything.

2. Buy a simple drone that is easy to learn to fly. I would suggest the DJI Mini 3 for several reasons. It's light, flys very well, easy to control, and you can get the dedicated controller with its own screen. Do not cheap out here! That screen is a game-changer. you want that for sure.

3. Study YouTube video about learning to fly first. Then take your drone out and learn how to control the drone very well without taking risks. You want to fly in an area free of obsticles, people, and vehicles. You fly low and slow at first, practicing moving the drone in a desired path, like a circle or a square. You practice take-off and landing, and control. When you are good enough at it to gain confidence....

4. Read the manual and learn how to control the camera. There are full-auto settings, but also a lot of manual settings. You will make mistakes, but learn from them. Shoot videos at 1080p at first because the files are smaller, they are easier to manage later, and your initial shots aren't likely to be great anyway.

5. When you have a good grip on controlling the camera, put the two together, give yourself a "mission" to get a particular shot, and keep trying until you get it.

6. Watch and study YouTube videos about how to shoot good drone video, and how to take great drone photos. I put this step last because everything else will get in your way until you've mastered flight and basic camera control.

DJI offers a "care refresh" package, which is great for new pilots. It's basically an insurance policy against loss or damage. Just buy it. Even if you never use it, having it gives you confidence to learn more without risk. This is offered only on new drones, but it is possible to buy a used drone that still has some policy time left on it.

Lastly, do not get a really cheap drone. The frustration is simply not worth the savings. The Mini 3 is a good starting point, but isn't the cheapest. They are on sale now I think. The "Fly More" kit gives you a bag, extra props, extra batteries, and is worth having.

If your needs for better or just different cameras becomes real (after exploring all you can do with the one on the drone), there are options of other drones with better cameras, and drones that can carry separate cameras. But all of that is very advanced. 99% of all drone photography is done with the camera already on the drone.

Thanks for your advice.

Just went through;

1)

2)

3)
Remote control

4)

Please advise. Thanks

Regards
I know little about drone photography myself - hopefully someone who does will respond. Or, you may get some good advice here:

No review will give you appropriate information on local regulations covering drone operation. You may even need a license for drones larger than cheap toy models. That's true in my area. Check that out first.

Hi all,

Lot of thanks for your advice.

I think that I'm looking at the wrong device. I'm looking for a device for self-capturing during travel abroad.

I'll start a new thread on;
Photography Equipment & Products

Regards

Hi all,

Lot of thanks for your advice.

I think that I'm looking at the wrong device. I'm looking for a device for self-capturing during travel abroad.

I'll start a new thread on;
Photography Equipment & Products

Regards
Again...the DJI Mini 3 is what you want.

I would strongly suggest reading through the Mavic Pilots forum for the latest information, and some tips on drone photography that are actually useful and current.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your advice and link.

It just came to my notice, certain countries having regulations on Drone. I wonder whether I can use Drone for self-capture on traveling abroad?

It just came to my notice, certain countries having regulations on Drone. I wonder whether I can use Drone for self-capture on traveling abroad?
It would help us a lot to know what countries you are planning to go to. Also...if you ask this question on Mavic Pilots you'll probably get replies from pilots in those countries, being a drone-specific forum and all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back