Drone Photography and the FAA

I find this subject comical and entertaining. Drones is just a marketing ploy to help sell over priced toys and it's freaking the public out lol

If you guys think a 1lb battery operated piece of plastic is scary than you haven't seen anything. I probably shouldn't talk about the 100+ lb jet powered civilian model aircraft scene. Now those will do some damage if they crash and you don't see them plastered all over the news. Mounting cameras on model aircraft isn't new either, heck, I saw a guy attach a firearm to a chopper once and remote discharged it. Nope, It wasn't until some manufacture started applying the term "Drone" to their products when people started taking notice. The FAA only took notice when some guy's video flying around Reunion Tower here in Dallas made the evening news. Reunion Tower is only 560ft, shorter than the surrounding downtown buildings. I'm pretty sure it's not even in the flight path of Southwest or any near by helio pads. I think the FAA is doing what the government does best, figuring out new ways to regulate people. Anyhow, I wouldn't think twice about using one of these Scary drones to photograph a home or large property. Just exercise causation, a lot of these so called drones are ultra light weight (some are made of Styrofoam...Oooo, scary) and would mostly likely not do a lot of damage in case of malfunction but you're still responsible for any damages either way. Anything larger than the evil drones featured on tonight's news should be flown at a park or model air field.

<...sets back now waiting for people to label his Nitro RC trucks Unmanned Ground Vehicles (UGV) and demand the government do something about it

We know.. they find a way to tax everything.. and think that there is a security risk for a lot of things.
What I find amazing is the Russians blew up a civillian airplane .. thinking it was a jet fighter.

So it's okay to mount a camera to a model airplane or helicopter and use it for photo'ing things, but not a drone? I don't get it....

Scott (so confusing) B

Quad-copters are used extensively to cover rallying and some other types of motor sport here in Ireland.

We know.. they find a way to tax everything.. and think that there is a security risk for a lot of things.
What I find amazing is the Russians blew up a civillian airplane .. thinking it was a jet fighter.

FYI It was Ukrainian separatists that shot down the plane. The USA shot down an Iranian civilian airliner back in the 90's under the same pretext.
( Not bashing just pointing it out)

Most reactions

Back