Dropped camera in fresh water

damian5000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hilltribez.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After a friend used my camera and was handing it back to me, it slipped from my grasp. Dropped and rolled several feet and kerplunked into a pool at the base of a waterfall. It was underwater for maybe 3-4 seconds.

After fishing it out, the lens was extended and stupid me I thought the camera was on... Went to push the power button and THAT was what turned it on (must of auto shut off on impact).

I turned it off immediately, took out memory card, batteries, etc... and shook out the water. Then stuck it in a small plastic bag with dry rice for several days. It wasn't a huge amount of water that got in, but enough that I had to shake it for a couple minutes (not rigorously of course) to get the drops to stop coming out.

I just now turned it on and everything seems to be in perfect working order. My main concern is deposits from the water corroding it over time. I guess my question is should I take it apart and use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean contacts and boards, or just leave well enough alone?

Opinions? Leave well enough alone or open it open and "clean" it...My inclination is leave it, but wonder what someone who knows a little more about this might have to say...

Sounds like you got very, VERY, lucky.

Taking it apart to clean it sounds tricky... I would take the lens (and body cap) off and let it air out for a few days, then clean the sensor.

I'm really amazed that it even works...

It's a Canon a570. It's actually working perfectly now from what I can tell. What amazes me is that I turned it on (thinking I was turning it off because the lens was extended) after it had been dunked for several seconds and it didn't kill it.

Maybe the water hadn't yet reached the circuits? I don't know. I turned it off immediately after realizing my mistake... It was under water for at least 3 seconds....My main concern is future corrosion from all the little living things and minerals etc... in the water. I looked at some diagrams/ take apart instructions of some older "a" series Canons and it does look tricky to get to all the parts inside.

Would not worry too much about corrosion. The circuits are copper and copper pipes are used for piping drinking water. And there is a lot more crap in that than in the average river.

Most reactions

Back