DSLR Body advice Canon EOS 7d / 40d / 1100d

Sailing Smudge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Being new to this, just a quick question...

I've been looking to get a DSLR, but I'm new to the world of digital photography, I just wanted some advice as to the option of buying an entry level DSLR as a beginner, or to go for a better quality model aimed at those that are already used to/ familiar with DSLR's

Are the higher end cameras too confusing for newbies?

I'm looking to buy used and have narrowed down the choice to those but happy to see what people suggest.

Once brought, I'm also going to join my local Camera Club which will hopefully have some members willing to help me on my learning journey :)

Thanks in advance,

Entry, mid-level, and high-level cameras are more alike than different. If anything, I think the high-level, professional bodies are EASIER to make adjustments on, because they have extrenal control buttons for the most commonly changed settings, like white balance, ISO, and format/quality. Cameras designed to appeal to newbies are, in fact, often MORE confusing, since menu-diving is almost always required. I recall a certain Sony mirrorless camera: making an ISO change on it required SIXTEEN button presses....and there were no shortcuts....ISO was layered into the menu system. That was the NEX 3 or 5, as I recall. Not kidding either.

The older Canon 1D and 1Ds bodies are low cost today...$700-$950 for a nice older pro capable Canon 1-series body, a little more, but not too much for the 1Ds Mark III, which is now "old", yet still like an old racecar....still very responsive. The older 5D classic is a decent camera, $550 or so. 40D...ehhhh....it's still okay. I guess it depends. I don't think much of the 7D, I really don't.

Thanks for the reply, I did have the 1100d and 40d in mind but the 7d was then suggested as a better option.. I will now also look at the 1d and 5d .... so many options out there it's quite a daunting prospect. I just don't want to buy something I wish I hadn't after a few weeks.

The more feedback I get then (hopefully) the better my choice will be :)

ok, next question...

Seen an EOS 1D mkII but it has 8.2 mega pixels is this too low?

8.2 mp isn't much by todays standards, it may impede you if you want to crop in to a photo. I had one of these cameras and it was great, super fast autofocus. It's sensor is now somewhat dated. It's still as good as it ever was but you can get better image quality for less money in smaller packages.

What is your budget and what's your favorite type of photography?

If you're worried about resolution consider the new T6i and T6s. Or perhaps the now discontinued T5i. They have many "higher end" options in an entry level body. They may, however be a little above your budget.

Good observations so far. ^^^

In addition to the control-accessibility that Derrel mentioned (one of the main reasons my first DSLR was a used 30D vs. a new Rebel), be sure to check out ergonomics. A Rebel-type camera feels very, very different in your hands vs. something like a 7D, vs. a 1D (with integrated grip). Personally, I like the solid feel and weight of something like a 40D / 7D / 5D, not to mention the additional controls at my fingertips.

Adjusting settings on the camera without taking your eye off the eyepiece.... priceless. That's when you stop working for the camera and the camera starts working for you.

The EOS 40D was the sixth iteration of Canon's first enthusiast series...D30,60D,10D,20D,30D,40D...it was the sixth model of its lineage, and by the time Canon had arrived at the 40D, the iterations that had come before had been used to more or less perfect that size of camera.Canon EOS 40D - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Prices on used 40D bodies are very low. A friend of mine has one he bought new...it's still a decent shooter.

Many thanks for advice, i have decided on the EOS40d. :1219:

You should be able to find one of these at a very competitive price, and it's fine camera. I bequeathed my old one to my son when I got my 7D, but I still use it occasionally. It's been hauled all over the country in all sorts of conditions, and even though it's showing its age, the thing just keeps on ticking. Really a remarkably well-built tool. I think you'll like it.

One thing about these older models no one mentioned which you should consider, older DSLR SUCK in low light!
When the lighting conditions are perfect these old cameras can produce picture just as good as any modern DSLR but indoor photography or in lower light its noise fest, picture very fast looses detail and you get very grainy picture.
I had an older Nikon D60 which was a great camera in good lighting condition but complety useless in lower light, after some time I sold it and bought a 4 years old model which isnt too expensive but very resonable in all lighting conditions.
Dont rush to buy old because its cheap, buying a limited capability camera has its drawbacks and limitation which I found quit unacceptable.
Having a camera that can work well in all lighting conditions is very important!

On the other hand if all you plan on doing with the DSLR is shoot in studio with it where you have full control of lighting then I guess any DSLR will do.

I've only owned one of these, so I'll just speak to that. The 7D is a fantastic camera, but if it's best for you is really a question of what you're after:

1) it's built like a tank. Best build quality of any camera I've ever used, with the exception of the 1DX and D4. It just has a solidness of feel to it that I loved.

2) it's fast and accurate to focus. Some of the very latest cameras, like the D7200 and 7DMkII best it here, but it's still very capable.

3) huge buffer. Can basically just hold down burst mode

4) you have to know how to shoot with it in low light. Nikons these days you really don't have to pay attention to being in low light. You can underexposed by 4 stops, you can shoot at ISO 12800, none of that really matters. With the 7D you have to really think about low light because it can get noisy if you aren't careful. That being said, I shot plenty of indoor events and low light sporting events with it that made it on magazine covers, program covers, etc. so the idea that it can't shoot in low light is just silly. You just have to be aware of it in low light.

5) it uses CF cards. I'm not a big fan of cf cards. They're stupid. They're big. And you only get one slot since they're so big.

6) it really reflects the color and contrast of the scene. I don't know how to explain this, but with my Nikons and even my 5DC, they'd kind of make images look consistent. With the 7D, if the scene was low contrast with muted colors it gave you low contrast and muted colors. If it was vibrant that's what it gave you. This was both a pro and a con. You had to be very aware of your scene with it, or spend a lot of time in post. But I rarely got the "the scene didn't look like that to me in real life" feeling I get a lot of the time with Nikon and the 5D line.

Just my thoughts.

One thing about these older models no one mentioned which you should consider, older DSLR SUCK in low light!
When the lighting conditions are perfect these old cameras can produce picture just as good as any modern DSLR but indoor photography or in lower light its noise fest, picture very fast looses detail and you get very grainy picture.
o.

actually some of those old DSLR models do pretty good in low light (with a little "Neat Image" help)

old 18MP DSLR sensor (only 18 megapickels???)
ISO 6400

18176947518_914972433d_b.jpg

ISO 6400

18114093980_40eb4d3ddf_b.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back