DSLR for a 15-year-old?

Marissa Foto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bella-muse.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The VP of my bank wants to buy a DSLR for his 15-year-old daughter. I want to recommend something easy for her to learn on so she can upgrade the body when she's more learned about photography and still be able to use any lenses she acquires until then. Any suggestions on a suitable Canon set-up for a beginner? He'd like to stay under $700 for the body, lens, and a memory card.

Thanks in advance.

And I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
$700 with or without a lens? Anyway you can get a used 20D or 30D and a new Tamron 17-50 2.8 for about $700. I recommend the the XXD series mainly due to its larger size(than a rebel) and more robust build, and the control dial on the back which is mutch more intuitive than pressing a button to switch front wheel functions like the rebel line uses. Now depending on the 15 year old, some thing from the rebel family( XXXD series) might be a more comfortable size and weight.

$700 with or without a lens? Anyway you can get a used 20D or 30D and a new Tamron 17-50 2.8 for about $700. I recommend the the XXD series mainly due to its larger size(than a rebel) and more robust build, and the control dial on the back which is mutch more intuitive than pressing a button to switch front wheel functions like the rebel line uses. Now depending on the 15 year old, some thing from the rebel family( XXXD series) might be a more comfortable size and weight.
$700 with the lens and a memory card. I've never met her, but I assume she's going to be running around taking pictures of everything and everyone. Isn't that how everyone is when they get their first camera? But then I was TEN when I got mine so I dunno.

Canon - look into rebel kits. used 20, 30d
Nikon - d40, 60, 5000, 3000 kits. used d50, d70, d80 (might be border line)

Maybe have him take her down to a local photography shop so she can see whats fits her best and what she seems to prefer, then when shes learned about what she likes, he can be a cheap VP of a bank and shop for that model used online.
Any entry level DSLR from Nikon, Canon, or other similar brand, is going to suit her needs just fine.

Maybe have him take her down to a local photography shop so she can see whats fits her best and what she seems to prefer, then when shes learned about what she likes, he can be a cheap VP of a bank and shop for that model used online.
Any entry level DSLR from Nikon, Canon, or other similar brand, is going to suit her needs just fine.

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?

I personally don't see the point in spending more if she's just going to:

A) love photography and want to upgrade, or

B) become disinterested and stick it in a box in a closet somewhere.

I found this kit, and think it'd work for a young beginner. Opinions?

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?
Yeah, that or they have a monthly quota. I prefer to get first hand opinions from fellow PHOTOGRAPHERS not salespeople who rarely know about the product they're selling.

Is there any reason why you're so dead set on wanting to get Canon? Not saying they're not good but nikon has plenty of cameras that are much more affordable and well suited if you're using that price range. And if she becomes disinterested then at least they have camera and she can play with that.
tj

And no, not all local sales people are commissioned or work on quotas. Some actually care about building a relationship with the customer and earning return business.

Yes this may be true in some cases but most of the time it's a sales person who generally knows nothing about the cameras doesn't care to and just wants to make a sale. Even in the photo stores around here in South Florida they are unfriendly and could care less about a relationship of any type. Hopefully that's just down here but I have trouble believing it.

Someone has to make money, whether it be a local shop, Adorama, B&H, etc.

The staff at my local Calumet shop are paid an hourly wage. But I dont see why that matters.

Being a smart consumer is my top priority. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back