DSLR for a 15-year-old?

He's the VP of a bank and has a $700 budget? I can see that being reasonable without the lens but with a lens and card included . . . cheapo!

I love my 450D and would recommend it for your coworker. It makes a great beginner dslr (my first one :)) yet it's good enough where she can expand her photography and not outgrow it too fast. I got it used for $450 (with only a 2k shutter count!) with the kit lens so it should meet his $700 budget.

What I recommend, though, is to buy the camera with a 50mm 1.8 instead of the 18-55 kit. That lens is a great beginner lens since A) it's very versatile and will allow her to explore what area of photography she wants B) will start her on the right track by not letting her get into the lazy mode with zoom lenses C) it's cheaper than the kit lens so she can save money for when she wants another lens and D) It's optically better than the kit lens.

He's the VP of a bank and has a $700 budget? I can see that being reasonable without the lens but with a lens and card included . . . cheapo!
As I stated before: She is 15 years old. I don't know about you but when I was 15, I wanted to go inline skating every weekend for the rest of my life. My friends and I even had this ridiculous plan to buy an RV after high school and travel the country to race other speed teams. However, as I became an adult, my interests (not to mention my life goals) changed. Not to mention kids will drop and break and lose things.

She should buy it for her self. I bought mine 2-3 (I was 13) years ago and I treat it very well. And really all a beginer needs a basic DSLR body and a 10-55 and a external flash.

D40 with 18-55mm lens

I agree with this. I can't speak for Canon because I've never owned a Canon DSLR. The D40 is a fine choice and with the budget you mentioned you could buy the body and the kit lens plus a book or two on photography. I hope she gets something she can work with and has a blast!

+1

Nikon D40, 18-55mm kit lens, and a 55-200mm VR lens should do them just fine.

There is a thread going right now showing photos that people have taken with their D40's.

Nikon D40 is the best selling camera in the history of photography. They must do something right, and they are plentiful and affordable.

lol @ giving Nikon advice to someone specifically asking for Canon advice. How helpful.

I think alot of people need to reread the title of the thread........

FOr a 15 year old girl, I would recommend a rebel series camera. Check prices on XSi, or the XS. Not sure your budget would allow a newer model with lens. And I doubt a 15 year old girl would like something that has been used. Unless she really has her head on straight. LOL

Nerds.

Any entry level camera is going to do. And the friend she is helping may NOT want to give his daughter a "used" product. If that's the case, a lot of new is out. Someone already linked to a refurbished Canon and those are a good bet. They will (usually) come in a nice box and the only way you'd know it was in someone else's hand is if they look hard enough for the refurbished sign.

With that said, you can buy a Nikon D3000 for about 550 new, 449 used from Adorama. Both come with the camera, and the 18-55 VR lens as well as the Nikon warranty - just in case.

Maybe have him take her down to a local photography shop so she can see whats fits her best and what she seems to prefer, then when shes learned about what she likes, he can be a cheap VP of a bank and shop for that model used online.
Any entry level DSLR from Nikon, Canon, or other similar brand, is going to suit her needs just fine.

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?

Was going to say the same thing in a post when saw you responded in yours as followup. Don't waste a salesperson's time, just so you can feel good about which is the right camera to buy on a reseller market.

Buying for a 15-year old is like playing roulette. Odds are slim you'll find exactly what she would be pleased with over the next few years. Or that she'll cast it aside out of boredom and use her phone's camera. For anyone starting out, you'll probably find most all the Canon and Nikon AF's will have the functionality she needs. It may occur to the youth that at some point, a certain camera body would work better for some kind of creative flair they want to pursue.

If you want them to learn photography, first buy a film SLR and have them use it manually. One with decent TTL metering.

I'd recommend the XSi over the XS. It'll take longer to "outgrow" and really isn't much more. Adorama has a nice kit with a refurbished XSi and 18-55mm lens for $530.

2757B006AA Canon Digital Rebel XSi SLR Camera Body Kit - Silver - with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilizer Lens - Refurbished

And no, not all local sales people are commissioned or work on quotas. Some actually care about building a relationship with the customer and earning return business.

since the girl is a 15 yearold beginner i would recommend the canon rebel xsi as well. very easy to learn features. plus thats what i am using at this time untill i can upgrade bigger bodies :)

If you want them to learn photography, first buy a film SLR and have them use it manually. One with decent TTL metering.
That's my school of thought. It annoys me to no end that people think they can buy a DSLR and *voila* they're a professional photographer. This might make me a snob, but if you can't use a film camera, you get no respect from me.

Before my daughter gets her own camera, she's going to learn on one of my old 35mm manuals.

/rant

Thank you for all your help. I recommended the Rebel XSi kit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back